Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

I like doing things the other way round.

That's why Pentax fits me so well after all.

Hi, I'm Sabine.
I've posted a few times already without really having a proper introduction here. I guess I felt justified by the fact I've been registered at another forum for 6-7 years and most people over there are also over here, but that's pretty much the only excuse I can come up with. So I'm now retroactively introducing myself.

I'm a 3rd-year BA Visual Communication student, hopefully branching out as a photographer for more than just a hobby.

What the end of 2010 (and consequently the beginning of 2011) has brought me, other than a severe case of exams-induced sleeping disorder, is a supposedly stain-free K-5 and a non-sticky LX to put alongside my *ist D and MX, as well as my old fungus-among-us A-50mm f1.4 back from the dead.

As the story goes, my previous LX and a clean copy of the A-50mm f1.4 were stolen from my car almost 3 years ago. I spent three years price-tracking LXs in order to find a decent replacement that would not cost me an arm and a leg. Patience definitely pays, and I am now the happy owner of a near mint copy that even came with a M-50mm f1.7 attached. (I do still hope those thieves will rot in hell, though).

The other A-50mm f1.4 I had was just sitting around gathering dust on top of its fungus-clad glass, until I found out a few weeks ago that a magic guy, right here in Switzerland, does exactly the same things that Eric, the highly praised Pentax repair guy, does — minus overseas shipping. So off my fungus friend went, and back it came, freed from its condition and generally CLA'ed, at a very decent price to boot.

As for the K-5, I had a K-7 before that, but for a few reasons debated here I eventually caved and went with it, cashback and all. I even managed to let my old-new K-7 stay in the family by passing it along to my father. There's only hope for the sake of the camera that he won't break it like anything he touches.

Being exams period I haven't been able to use the K-5 a lot so far, but I did test it for stains (being a 38x serial, FW 1.00) and I seem to have been spared! But please double-check (WARNING: big file. EXIF: 13s, f32, ISO100. Zoomed in/moved sheet between shots so as to rule out paper dirt) in case I've missed the issue altogether.
What I did do with my K-5 so far, though, I hadn't even done with the K-7 during the period I had it. I shot some video footage that ended up being used for one of my exams. Full HD sure is sweet!

So, looking forward to putting on a few more shutter actuations in the near future (i.e. after students' torture).
That's pretty much it for now!

Last edited by hooverfocus; 01-19-2011 at 06:42 PM.
01-20-2011, 01:00 AM   #2

Well I'm still new, so welcome!
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Sabine - great having you on board.
You've certainly gone through the ranks of film and digital Pentax cameras.
Hope you do well in your exams and look forward to your involvement here.
Enjoy.