Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #1

Hello New to everything!

My names Kelvin and i am from the Uk. I still done own any cameras or anything but hope to since i want to get into it all. please help me choose whether i really need the K-7? i've read lots already on lots of options to go for and i feel that this camera is most suitable. Nice to meet you all experienced and New members!

01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. I would suggest you go to the Pentax K-5 forum and check out the comparisons between the K-7 and the K-5. After doing comparisons you might quite well opt for the K-5.
01-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. What's your budget look like? What do you want to photograph? If you don't need weather proofing then the K-x might be a good choice to start with.
01-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah K-5 is out of the question considering its price! i have looked over what i really need, i want a camera that will last me a VERY long time as i am pretty low in funds! Living in the Uk and prolonged usage i thought the K-7 would last quite long as it has a strong body as well as the weather seals. I mainly want to take pictures of close up people, architecture and scenic views....is that very broad?

01-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) The K-7 or K-5 isn't going to "last" any longer than the K-x or K-r.

2) The K-7 or K-5 isn't going to give you any better image quality than the K-x or K-r.

3) The K-5 is a leap above the K-7 in high ISO quality, but the K-x already took that leap, and the K-r followed.

3) The K-5 and K-r give you some added resolution--redundant at best. 12mp is just fine for most normal human beings.

4) The K-r has highly superior autofocus and much better LCD display compared to to the K-x, not to mention visual focus points in the viewfinder.

So unless you really think you have to have WR, that's one thing. But if you don't, you have to consider the K-r for a fraction of the K-5's price--and not even consider the K-7 because of its inferior high ISO performance. And the K-r blows away the K-7 in that fast focusing advantage and superior LCD.

And I'm telling you this as a K-x owner.
01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Does the K-r have 1080p recording? and i was thinking like the body to last longer from physical damage.
01-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #7

Welcome Kelvin, you've come to the right place for your answers. Check out the camera comparisons in the k-5 or K-r dlsr discussion forums.

01-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, there's plenty to read and opinions around here, good luck with the camera purchase.
01-27-2011, 03:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi..
OK, you're new - so you need a camera and some lenses.

If you're absolutely loaded and money is no concern then buy a K-5 body and look at FA Limited and DA* lenses.

If you're not, and a K-7 plus kit lens is your whole budget then consider getting a K-x kit (or a used K10D kit) plus a better lens.

You can ask for lens recommendations here based on what you're interested in taking photos of and you'll get a ton of ideas to sort through.