Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 17-50 Tamron I have is very sharp, the 28-75 should be as good or possibly better as a full frame lens with these APS-C sized sensor cameras as they capture the center part of the frame which tends to be the sharpest. Given the image quality the price(s) are not that bad IMO. (BTW ... there are plenty of respected lens tests here: All Tests / Reviews and of course the user review database here: Pentax Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database).

Plenty of snow and around 0 C here currently (kind of warm though, -20-25 C is quite common this time of year ).

01-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
nice.....0 deg. i know where i rather be.
to make things worst, the air cond was playing up. it was sweltering all day. room temparature hit 31 deg. we live another day.....but the worst off was my poor dog, which has to stay outside whilst i was at work.

checked out the all test review. somehow the sigma 30mm wasn't rated highly but oposite opinion on pentax forum. just have to wait & see.

will take some snaps this weekend at the city market chinatown. big chinese new year celebration.

until then,,cheers
02-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #18

Original Poster
just got my new sigma f1.4 ex dg.
was disappointed it wasn't hsm & quick shift manual focus. obviously it's my ignorance not looking deeply on the sigma web page, that clearly states no hsm/ quickshift for minolta, sony or pentax. just the pentax luck.
nevertheless, it focus pretty quick albeit more screw noise & i've to saw it's very very sharp. definitely chalk & cheese when compared to the kit lens.
check pix out & let me know. both shot on manual & cropped only.

lastly, do you think i should post this on the lens review page ( it's good enough?)
cheers
jk
Attached Images

02-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I suppose having quick shift is more of an issue with long focus throw macro and tele lenses anyway. I hope AF is working fine with the lens though? I seem to recall an occasional report of a back / front focus issue with that lens (too). From the posted pics it is hard to say where AF decided to focus, but the dreamy background you were looking for certainly is there and IQ seems fine to me. A new lens review in the database and/or some informal comments with pictures are always welcome AFAIK .

02-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #20

Original Poster
af is working good. very fast just a bit noisier than the kit lens. ff & bf not noticeable , then again this could be my in-experience.
overall, it's a killer, 50 shots taken, 40 were good due to my manual fiddling!
i\m pretty happy, eventhough there's no hsm. then again this is what sogma got to offer. i think it should be cheaper than w/ hsm.
the camera looks good, love the chunky lens.

ps will post a couple of shots from this weekend's chinatown celebration.
Attached Images

02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
hello jolepp,
it's being a year since we last spoke.
more progress since then. my lens collection has grown pretty rapid, with inclination towards the sigma range of primes.
to date, i've picked up sigma 14 f2.4, sigma 50 f1.4 & a sigma 70-200 f2.8.
recent purchase also included a pentak k5 body......what a camera!
lastly & finally, i got the tamron 17-50mm f2.8. this is a definite keeper. as per your advise, it's super sharp even wide open @50mm. cheers
02-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Hello again! Nice set you got there.
02-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #23
bsx
Inactive Account

Hello

Hi all, short intro, yes, I am a Pentax newby from Melbourne. Since 2003 I used to use an off EOS300D on, but I decided to try the Pentax and to benefit on the compatibility of the older lenses (especially the A series).

02-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #24
bsx
Inactive Account

Sorry guys, other post, otherways I can't sent IMs...

Regards:
bsx