Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Holland (with photos)

Hello all,

After lurking around, I decided to join this friendly and helpfull forum.

I'm into photography about twenty years now (I'm 35) and learned the traditional way: I had a K2 with 28, 55 and 135 mm primes, shot black & white (Ilford FP4 was my favourrite film) and developed and printed in my own darkroom at home.
After the K2 the Z1 came and I fell even more in love with my hobby. I used the Z1 about 10 years and now I use my K10D alot. I just love this camera. Of course, what's a camera without a lens? LBA got to me this year and I now use (amongst others) the FA 50 mm 1.4, the sigma 10-20 and a Tamron 90 mm 2.8 macro. The 18-55 mm kit lens hasn't been replaced. I like that lens very much. It has a good enough IQ for general use and a very useable focal length, allthough it would be better with less vignetting.

My main area of interest is landscape photography, but I like to try out different themes and styles as you can see in the pictures below. (I hope they aren't to big).

C&C welcome,
Greetings,
Roger.

10-09-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice work. I was expecting to see some windmill photos. The colors in #4 are outstanding.
10-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Well, There are windmills in Holland of course, but they are a lot less common these days. Number 4 was taken with the kit lens, if I remember correctly. Some PP was done in Lightroom.
10-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The windmills are here!

10-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The windmill shots are very cool indeed. I really like stuff like that. Thanks for posting them
10-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
welcome. always good to start off with photos.
I must say the sigma is wide indeed at 10mm but imho its so wide for a rectilinear that the distortion from strecthing in the corners can be a problem. I think its a bit like the fisheye lens, not that the distortion is of the same type, but that if you are aware of it you can hide the distortion and make the shot look more natural.
I think shot nr 3 has got too much of this distortion, I am guessing it was taken with the sigma around 10mm. shot nr 4 is a much more pleasing landscape, although that doesnt look like its at 10mm.
shot nr 5 is also very nice, the bw makes for a good mood in the image.

your last windmill shot looks quite stretched too, is that at 10mm also?
10-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

My Gosh! Those are gorgeous pictures! Simply beautiful. I love the fourth as well. Amazing colors. Welcome. I'm new myself. Just got a K10D last week.

10-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I really appreciate your comments!

The windmill pics were done withe the Sigma 10-20 mm, so was photo #5 of the bridge over the little river Swalm.

I find myself reverting more and more to b&w in my images. I think working in black and white can make an image much stronger, because there is no color that is distracting. The picture of our dog for example (#1) wouldn't have the same appealing in color. His fur is white with a very distinctive red/brown pattern. The red attracts all attention in a color photograph, whereas in b&w the attention goes to the eyes, his expression and the intimacy of the photo. (Well, that's my opinion on it.)

Looking forward to more feedback,
Roger.