Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi - Greetings from QLD, Australia

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd say hi !

I am proud to say that I'm a recent new owner of a lovely red Pentax K-r.

Being new to the world of DSLR, I'm absolutely thrilled with my new 'toy' (although I am a bit in awe of it at the moment). I'm madly reading the manual, info on the 'net, and mainly the great info & knowledge imparted by all of you good people on this fantastic forum

I'm really looking forward to learning heaps & improving my quite low photography skills. I've ordered a few recommended books (and eagerly await their arrival). I've also ordered the 55-300mm lens from Amazon, along with the AA battery adapter...not to mention the Grafea leather camera bag, screen protector, remote and other 'gifts' for my K-r that I was compelled to buy! (Um, is this a common 'newbie to photography' trend?).

I was also very fortunate to be given a few "M" lenses by my father (who purchased his Pentax about 35 years ago) - and have tried some of these out (and I found the 'how to' right here on this forum)

Anyway - thank you so much for this lovely forum - I look forward to spending lots of time here.

Goldens2

01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Don't worry it is perfectly normal for a newbie to go on spending spree with things we "need" for photography, I did it. This forum has been a great help to me becoming a better photographer, I hope it can do the same for you. There is useful information all over this website so be sure to take some time and explore as much as you can. Enjoy!
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure as you look around the forum you'll encounter a large number of your fellow Aussies (there are at least 3 participating in the Single in January game)
Sounds like you've got everything either ordered or already you'll need for aq while. Time to get out and take some pictures and start posting them for us to see

which M lenses were you lucky enough to acquire (I shoot almost exclusively with old M lenses now)
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi - Greetings from QLD, Australia

Hi KxBlaze & eddie1960,

Thanks so much for the welcome! Look forward to my time here.

My 'acquired' M lenses (as well as a Hanimex Auto 3 x Converter) are:
Pentax 50mm 1:1.7
Sigma mini-wide 28mm 1:2.8
Sigma standard-zoom 35~70mm 1:2.8~4 (for some reason I can't get this one to fit - unless I use along with the auto converter- tho was used on a Pentax in the past -...and being inexperienced, don't want to 'force' the issue!)

Now to establish the best 'use' for each (along with my kit lenses).

Heading to Sydney in a few days - so lots of harbour photo opportunities ahead!

01-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 50 1.7 is an absolutely great lens. Very sharp and nice focus action. It will definitely become one of your favourites as time progresses (I wish they built kit lenses like this now)
Haven't tried the Sigma 28, but it's an excellent Focal length, several of us participating in the Single in January game used 28 mm lenses. Spending a month shooting with the one lens makes you work for the shot but I found i quite rewarding
Search the albums for Single in and you can look back over all the months one of these challenges has run