Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #1

howdy from a committed Zuikoholic

... but don't take that the wrong way - have also been an avowed Pentax fan for years, and have finally joined the ranks of Pentaxians!

the skinny version: small-handed photographer, started out in film days (mid 90s) with an OM10 and a 50mm f1.8, always admired small, well-built, portable film bodies with great small equally durable and optically awesome primes. Stayed with Oly my whole shooting life, dabbled in digital for first time in 05, a C*non Rebel.

Have always hated C*non ergonomics and build, and the glass was meh/so-so even if thes sensors have always been great. Graduated to a 5DII after years of hating my digital experience and coming into some $$$. Wanted a Ni*on d700 (better in every way than the C*non), but still large and heavy. Only went C*non because I dsicovered I could adapt all my existing Zuikos to it, and I have most of the best - the 100mm f2, the 28mm f2, the 40mm f2, the 21 f3.5. Always hope a 'digital OM4Ti' would be born, but Oly just can't be counted on to listen to their users. Though invested in the glass, i know I will never get rid, as I still shoot film very frequently, and they deliver there as they always have. Oly's multi-spot meter has no equal, and never will.

Fast forward to today - I wanted a camera that was small, light, weather-sealed, with access to great primes, and that wouldn't break the bank, with good low-light performance, as I still frequently shoot music bands. The only cam that ticked all these boxes was the K5. I have had it a week, and am chuffed so far.

Basically, I want the camera to 'get out of the way' and let me concentrate on shooting. Not run for cover when it rains, not stick a huge lens in someone's face, and not break my shoulder when i am on the road and carrying it literally all day.

Until Oly (if ever?) realise Maitani-san's dream of *compact* pro standard cameras that give me that same heady rush of feeling like I had found a camera designed just to meet *MY* every need like I did with the OM4Ti and XA, I am a happy Pentaxian for the forseeable future - the tools do not matter, you see. It's the heart and mind behind the finger on the shutter that has the ultimate role to play. The K5 is the closest I have had to that feeling in 15 years...

Am semi-pro; work day jobs to get by, but sell a small proportion of what I shoot to magazines and corporate clients. Hate weddings, will never do them (have done a few for friends), have zero intention of going 'full' pro, unless lightning struck and I could get ongoing work as a stringer for a few publications I respect. Would probably necessitate a move O/S, not unthinkable, but not highly likely either.

Hope to find out more, and contribute knowledge where possible. Have much Oly/Zuiko knowledge to contribute for the curious, also 'something' of an 'expert' on slow-sync flash, and live music/concert photography, so do not hesitate to ask.

Apologies long intro.

01-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi and welcome. I hope you have lots of good times with your K5. I'm loving mine. Lots of Melbourne members here.

Richard.
01-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Melburnians

cheers, richard.

Look forward to contributing.

R
01-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't know if you know this or not, but there is a non-destructive reversible way to mount your Zuikos on a Pentax. Well, except for the 40 f/2.

Olympus OM lens for Pentax cameras

01-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. I assume "chuffed" means happy :-)
01-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
chuffed = happy!

yes!

and, @boriscleto - I was aware of the Leitax adapters, just seems a bit of a PITA.

BUT, I may do it with my 50mm f1.2, thereby creating a sweet, fast ~70ish FL for Pentax.

the Zuiko 50mm f1.2 is crappy wide open anyway, but sharpens up a treat from 2.8 down. I generally shoot portraits from 2.8-4, so could be an ideal inexpensive, small and light alternative to the Ltd 70 or 77.

All I need to grab is the DA 15 for street and a Tam 17-50 for gigs (and later the 60-250 or a third party pro f2.8 80-2xx zoom) and that's everything i'll ever need.

i can see the 21mm being my main walkaround for travels - love the mild wide perspective. Favourite FoV on Olympus/5D was always 40mm.