Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are SLR cameras dying?
Definitely yes 317.65%
Not so fast 211.76%
Cheap SLRs are still better than cheap DSLRs 15.88%
SLRs are like vinyl LPs: never loose their charm 1164.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #1

Introducing myself and greeting everybody

Hello,
my name is Constantine Ivanov.
Since a while ago, I was and still am enjoying the friendly and knowledgeable atmosphere of this Pentax Forum which now serves me as a litmus paper to check if I am still alive or already dead: if from the early morning I am not rushing to read something on this forum, it means I am dead. Thank God, I didn't miss a day so far...
As I have revealed in my profile (which is publicly accessible, I guess,) I am crazy.
I mean I am crazy about photography and cameras.
While my father was firing in volleys at German airplanes during the WWII, at the same time one of my uncles was shooting photos of the battlefields.
It was him who brought me a gift as a war trophy - a German compact folding camera Icarette, which already in 1946 turned me, then 5-year old, into a mad photography buff.

Since then, I happened to have a lot of different cameras but some mysterious reason I have fallen in love with Pentaxes when I came to the USA in 1994. Most likely, I was prepared to this transition because in Japan where I lived 4 years before the USA, I switched first from Petry to Contax, then to Yashica and eventually - to Chinon with its K-mount. I loved Chinon CP-7M and Chinon CP-9AF very much, and I found that Pentax gives me the same feel of comfort. That's how I came to you, guys. And this is my [drastically cropped] story.

So, I am glad to greet everybody and 宜しくお願いします, as Japanese say.
Constantine Ivanov,
Queens, NY
JulCon@PoemsAndReflectionsConstantineIvanov.com

01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Constantine! What part of Queens?

I lived in Kew Gardens for a number of years.
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Where in Queens

Hi Ira,
I live in Rego Park. I am pretty much familiar with Kew Gardens, too, because one of my daughters with my grandchildren lived over there, too.
It's amazing how you found me here: I assume I have posted my greeting in a wrong place because I didn't recognize from the beginning whether my very first post should be a post or a thread.
Thus, I suppose you are and probably will be the only person who learned of my existence here...

My best wishes to you, Ira,
Regards,
Constantine
01-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have an interesting history and probably a wealth of information to share. I look forward to it.

01-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Constantine,

Great introduction, and there are a few on here that still love the older gear. I haven't had the joy of shooting with a Chinon, but I do have a Yashica, and of course a few Pentax film bodies. Looking forward to hearing more about you gear.
01-31-2011, 09:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you, Ira, thank you, kbrede, thank you, smc,
for your warm greetings.
I'll be happy to share my experience with all of you.
You just have to tell me where, I mean - in which section, it would be appropriate me to respond to your particular questions while imposing no unexpected burden on others...-

Well, it would probably be better to "itemize" my experience into a few different topics:
1. Photocameras (mostly historical view as I saw and did it) and their role in creativity;
2. Adventures related to photography;
3. Life in the former USSR;
4. Life in the former USSR and its influence on photography;
5. Clash of old and new life experiences;
etc etc etc etc.....
kbrede was right saying that I "have an interesting history and probably a wealth of information to share." We should, though, organize this conversation so that nobody sinks into that information well...-
A part of my "history" can be found on my Website that I designed and coded by myself.
But I am not sure if it is appropriate to give here my URL address because it may sound as a self-promotion which is not welcome as I've read in the Forum Rules...

Regards,
Constantine

Last edited by ConstIva; 01-31-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: a typo
01-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, an interesting intro about yourself, I hope your will have time to share some stories of your past along with your photographs.
01-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here Constantine.
Thanks for the introduction - your experiences will be valued here.
Classic film SLRs will always be as prized as the classic vintage cars - restored and functional, they're not only charming but ageless. Only that they're not going to ever be as good performing as modern cars and dSLRs.

01-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
Dear Ash,
Just a very short note before I forgot what I wanted to say -
I felt soooo comfortable reading your "Classic film SLRs will always be as prized as the classic vintage cars - restored and functional, they're not only charming but ageless."
The next words woke up my bad poisonous nature. "Only that they're not going to ever be as good performing as modern cars and dSLRs." Yeah, it's true but...
To get a really good result, you have to get a much more expensive DSLR camera; the same result, though, can be achieved with a cheap (today's prices, I mean) SLR camera.
This I believe indisputable fact leads to two important conclusions:
1. a much more important role is played by lenses rather than by bodies;
2. the most important role is played by your creativity: our grandgrandgrandgrandfathers with their daguerreotypes took some photos that beat many modern photographers.
Kill me if I am wrong (which very well may be, of course -

But personally for me there is a lot more important issue in general: all modern technology makes consumers life sooo easy (remember the keyword of any commercial: "It's easy!") that consumers stop thinking at all: not much skills is required to just press a button, no matter what gear: a fully automated point-and-shoot camera or coffee-maker or school calculator (my grandchildren don't need to memorize the multiplication table anymore, their terachers say). Thus, great technology makes all of us step-by-step dependent on those who professionally think for and instead of us. In other words, we slowly but surely all become slaves of a "Big Brother."
Recently I proposed my grandchildren to create a "photo camera" out of a match box. They widely opened their mouths, lobstered their eyes and lost ability to say anything for a while. What? From a match box? they asked me...
Well, to be continued...tomorrow if ever.
Regards,
Constantine

Last edited by ConstIva; 02-01-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: a typo
02-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You're most definitely right Constantine.
Consumerism has been dictating the direction of most of our technological advances, so we're going top have to expect a level of automation to enter the arts that have traditionally been taught and practiced from first principles. And users in turn thinking that the automation substitutes for the skill and expertise of the more purist photographer...

Most images shot nowadays with dSLRs can be captured just as effectively with a regular SLR camera, even a manual one. The aspects not going to be as easy with manual SLRs are:
1. focusing speed to capture those one-in-a-million moments - particularly those that you cannot prefocus for, and
2. continuous shooting speed - film advancement is going to be the limiting factor for SLRs, while most modern dSLRs exceed 5fps, which can be a virtue for those fast-action situations, like sports.

Nevertheless, on the whole we're in agreement.
02-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ash, I knew we are in agreement...on the whole.
Nevertheless, I have to confess: despite my strong belief in what I said yesterday, I am also dreaming of a digital camera. But a good one.
A friend of mine since Moscow times, a professional photographer has switched to digital recently once and for all. But the camera he has to feel as comfortable with as with his old SLRs costs somewhere between the top of the Eiffel Tower and that of the Dubai's Burj Khalifa.
Which I can't afford. Thus, I have to stick with my SLRs.
Besides what you rightly said about the psychologically (and mentally?) destructive role of sophisticated technologies, there is one aspect more: it's becoming more and more difficult and expensive to find a film and to develop it.
In old times, I developed even color films in a "darkroom" that I converted a communal flat bathroom into (it's another one story of my former life under Commies in the USSR). Here, in the USA, as far as I know, only a few non-professionals have real darkroom available. All other amateurs have to use a One-Hour Photo facilities in Pharmacies etc.
This is again something that denies people the enjoyment of own creativity and ability to think in a non-standard way.
I dare even say that this is the process of mental degradation that contributed a lot to the fact that we almost lost our country. Maybe, I am too harsh...?
02-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ConstIva Quote
there is one aspect more: it's becoming more and more difficult and expensive to find a film and to develop it.
In old times, I developed even color films in a "darkroom" that I converted a communal flat bathroom into (it's another one story of my former life under Commies in the USSR). Here, in the USA, as far as I know, only a few non-professionals have real darkroom available. All other amateurs have to use a One-Hour Photo facilities in Pharmacies etc.
This is again something that denies people the enjoyment of own creativity and ability to think in a non-standard way.
I dare even say that this is the process of mental degradation that contributed a lot to the fact that we almost lost our country. Maybe, I am too harsh...?
Hi and welcome to the forum, i tend to fall in the I love film camp but digital has replaced it for all but a few of us. I shoot digital and am more than happy with my k7. however for some things film is better. the cost makes me slow down and think about every shot for one. they won't all be good but i don't generally take snapshots with film anymore.
Also for large prints it's tough (if not impossible) to beat medium and large format film
As for darkrooms, at one point there were a lot more enthusiasts with home darkrooms, be thankful so many have abandoned the idea it makes setting up your own far less expensive. For colour i still send it out but b/w i do at home.
As for film expense and how hard it is to find I just use online for most purchases film freestyle for one has a huge selection and better pricing than i can get locally even with a good number of retailers still in film
It's good to see a diehard film guy come to the forum, i look forward to some of your work, and don't discount digital entirely, for not much more than processing and purchasing of a brick of film you can pick up some pretty good used digital bodies like the k20 that will allow you to take advantage of both sides of the fence
02-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
Does somebody have or know a person who has a completely inoperative, not-repairable and ready to be thrown out Pentax SF-10 body that still looks like a photo camera rather than as a piece of scrap-heap, I'd appreciate to get it (I'll pay reasonable shipping cost) because I want my grandchildren to disassemble and re-assemble it while having my perfectly working Pentax SF-10 in front of them as a pattern to follow. Just want to teach my grandchildren to think more than they are taught to think at their schools. -
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ConstIva Quote
Does somebody have or know a person who has a completely inoperative, not-repairable and ready to be thrown out Pentax SF-10 body that still looks like a photo camera rather than as a piece of scrap-heap, I'd appreciate to get it (I'll pay reasonable shipping cost) because I want my grandchildren to disassemble and re-assemble it while having my perfectly working Pentax SF-10 in front of them as a pattern to follow. Just want to teach my grandchildren to think more than they are taught to think at their schools. -

What a great idea. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on my junk shop rounds, normally i pass over the sf10 cameras
02-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW if you are good with the Russian rangefinders I know there is a hole in the repair line. the go to guy everyone was using in NYC apparently has retired due to health