Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

warm wishes from the wet coast

Greetings and salutations fellow Pentaxians.

I have been lurking on the forum for a couple years and greatly appreciate the collective wisdom and community imparted within. I just recommitted myself to pentax with a K-5 purchase and thought I should become a contributor to the society, as this forum is part of the Pentax ecosystem that kept me with the brand. Believe it or not, this is the first internet forum I have ever joined instead of just lurking, so if my etiquette or responsiveness is lacking please take it with a grain of salt - I am a forum newb, not just a pentaxforum newb.

The last few years as a Pentax user have felt a lot like being a Mac fan back in the late '90s... lots of grief and anguish over a beloved, beleaguered brand, snide remarks from users of competing products and plenty of FUD. I thought long and hard about selling my gear and getting something else, but the competition just doesn't do it for me. Much as I respect the technical prowess of other brands, they never feel 'right' in my hands. Pentax finally seems to be hitting their stride. I like the 'think diffferent, be unique, scrappy underdog' persona that come with the brand. The K-5 appears to be a home run to me and the first 'new' SLR purchase I have made in over a decade - the last one being an MZ-5n (something about the 5's???)

I look forward to getting to know you better and sharing your passion.

sambo

02-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome sambo.....................

Never give up on quality imaging..............

That's why you are here today

02-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Vancouver, BC or Vancouver, WA?
02-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome Postumus.
No worries about giving up on imaging, though it may wax and wane, I am afflicted for life
cheers

02-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi dchemist, I'm in Vancouver BC (canuckistan), should have clarified that. Your neck of the woods is mighty fine as well.
02-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome left-coaster!
02-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Steve - trade you some snow for some rain.
02-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sambo Quote
Thanks Steve - trade you some snow for some rain.
I'm not sure what you are talking about - All I've had here for a while is warm, sunny days. There is plenty of wind to be had if you want some of it.

02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I'm not sure what you are talking about - All I've had here for a while is warm, sunny days. There is plenty of wind to be had if you want some of it.
Oops, I read your location as far as Ontario, Ca... and missed the Califorinia bit - duh. Even more interested in a weather swap now.
02-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Sambo,

Fellow Vancouver K5 owner here and welcome! Where did you get your K5? Have you notice any sensor stain? I brought mine from Kerrisdale and so far I can see only one minor spot of sensor stain when using F16 or small aperture.
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Welcome from another Vancouver PF member!
02-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Hi Sambo,

Fellow Vancouver K5 owner here and welcome! Where did you get your K5? Have you notice any sensor stain? I brought mine from Kerrisdale and so far I can see only one minor spot of sensor stain when using F16 or small aperture.
Hi MJL, thanks for the greeting. Good to hear from a hometown kindred spirit and sorry to hear about your sensor issue. Happily, my K5 is sensor stain free. I got it a Dunne & Rundle at the end of January (they had the most recent serial number I could find in town and one of the best prices as well). By the sounds of things, we are blessed with a plethora of merchants from which to purchase Pentax compared to much of the world.

I got a DA 18-135 at the same time and put them together first thing right out of the package as quickly and dust free as possible. The first thing I did was test for sensor stain, and did notice a consistent spot, that stuck around though numerous power-on dust removal cycles over the course of a few days, but didn't show up in the dust detection function. I finally swapped lenses and the spot was still there, so I went at it with a bulb blower and that blew it away - makes me wonder about the efficacy of the dust-removal function, but am otherwise thilled with the camera. It is an amazing tool that expect to enjoy for years to come.
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Welcome from another Vancouver PF member!
More Lotuslanders, we should form a club. Thanks for the welcome gofour3
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter

More Lotuslanders, we should form a club. Thanks for the welcome gofour3
Yep there is a group for us in the Lower Mainland!

BC/LowerMainland Pentaxians - PentaxForums.com

Phil.
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oops, I read your location as far as Ontario, Ca... and missed the Califorinia bit - duh. ...
It happens all the time. Heck, the (Southern California) city of Ontario is big enough that it has an "international" airport, and yet I still had someone twenty miles away say "you're from Canada?"