Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Forum Member

New in Northern Colorado

Hi, I'm new here. My first real camera was a Spotmatic, bought new in 1971. I still have it, but haven't used it in years. Next, I had a ZX-5, also purchased new, which I really liked.

For several reasons, I got away from photography for the past 10 years or so. Now, I am wanting to get back into it.

I got out the ZX-5 recently and found it wasn't really working. The mirror sticks and the flash won't stay up. I think it needs a mirror motor and a new spring for the flash - both very common problems, I 'm reading. I sent it off yesterday to get repaired. I know it won't be worth what it will cost to fix, but I'd rather have *my* camera fixed than buy a used one with unknown history and problems.

I also have an MX that I bought for my son to use for a high school class about 12 years ago. He's 29 now and hasn't used it since and the MX is at my house, so maybe it's mine now? Well, I wouldn't sell it, but I think I can use it. It seems to operate OK, except for the meter. I just went to Wal-Mart to see if I could get batteries for it, but they didn't seem to have them. I'll have to try somewhere else and then play around with the MX.

I may get the Spotmatic fixed up, too. I've read about Eric on here, so I know where to go for that.

You all seem to have a nice community here.

--mike

02-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Mike and good to have you on board.
Enjoy the forum and your film photography.
There's quite a contingent of like-minded photographers here.
Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
02-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a good camera outfit there after a little TLC.
02-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
mlb
Forum Member

Original Poster
I hope the ZX-5 holds up after getting it repaired. I really liked the traditional controls on that camera, like the shutter speed dial, for instance. I looked at some used offerings of other ZX models before deciding to get the ZX-5 repaired. I never figured out all the differences between the models, but it seemed like they almost all went away from the traditional controls. I don't know how they work, but it seems unlikely I would prefer the alternatives.

02-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

The Duracell S76 or Duracell 303/357 will both work on the MX. They are 1.5 v and the MX requires 2 of them. They are silver oxide batteries and are widely available (photo stores, Amazon etc.). I have a MX and recently started using it after many years. The exposure meter works fine. The MX and the SMC-M lenses were solid metal mostly and built to last - unlike even modern Pentax equipment.