Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

Still Learning My K200d

I have had my K200d for over a year now. I am still learning how to use it. I have an old Pentax 28-200 and an old Kalimar 1.7 50mm. I have been look on ebay to get some Pentax-A lenses. Because I cant afford any of the full auto expensive lenses. I was wondering If you should shoot in Raw and what program that is the best to process the images or do most people just shoot with the Jpeg the camera makes.

Thanks for your input.

02-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! You should ask this question in the Beginners Q&A to get more responses but I'll give you a quick one. Most people shoot in RAW (I do) because it gives you by far the most leeway for fixing/playing with/modifying your photos after you shoot them. Some people do not care about this and will shoot in Jpeg because it takes up less space and the camera already does some very minor fixes (only to jpegs though).

As for what program, I use Photoshop CS5, I think its the best but it cost an arm and a leg. I would ask this question in the Digital Processing, Software, and Printing section.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
02-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I shoot in RAW because I found that my K200D gets much more dynamic range processing a RAW file on the computer than from an out-of-camera jpeg. That´s even without changing anything when I process the file (default settings), which is incredible. As free applications go, I´ve tried the Pentax software that came with my camera, RAW Therapee & GIMP (with UFO Raw) & I would recommend that last of those for processing.

Good luck in your hunt for A lenses. I only have one but the colour from it is amazing. It might be easier (& cheaper) to find M lenses, but you will have to learn to shoot all-manual. But learning to do that is fun, and teaches you a lot about photography.
02-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for every-bodies help. I have an old Manual Kalimar lens so I have been learning to shoot with manual settings but I have a hard time when trying to use fill flash it turns the pic very white.

02-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you on board mate.
If you have a manual flash it will overexpose your images if your settings aren't right, and having the camera in any of the auto modes will cause inconsistent results, as there is no communication between the camera and flash.
But if you have a P-TTL flash, then auto settings should be OK. Manual settings are good to use if you know exactly what you want to create with your shots, otherwise, in the beginning you should be using Av, Tv, full auto modes in P-TTL flash mode until you're confident in experimenting with your settings.

For any other questions, please use the Beginners Q&A corner as your requests will be seen by many more members here.
02-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there are some truly great A series lenses at sensible money out there, enjoy 'em when you get 'em.