Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Shifting from film to digital is not too difficult
I had a heck of a time. Actually, I may be exaggerating a little bit....and I'm very self critical. I was good with film. I had (still have) my K1000 and a Nikon F50 (gave it away) for a long time. I thought I was pretty slick. When I bought my first DSLR (FinePix S2 Pro) I wouldn't show anyone my pictures for about three months! It was very frustrating but, unlike film, I was able to bang off thousands of frames every week. It took me a while to get back to where I was with 35mm but now I can say that I'm in a different league. *BIG smile* CHEEESE! Much more confident and technically proficient!

02-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from another retired K7 shooter. You're in for a treat in terms of image quality and a challenge in terms of all the choices you'll have before you compared with the K1000. That 50mm f1.4 isn't too humble, especially if it's the Pentax M or A series. Makes an excellent macro lens on the K7 with a reverse ring or a macro converter. The great thing about the K7 is you can use any Pentax lens ever made, plus a squillion third party ones and they'll all work, with shake reduction an' all. Get to know your local junk shops, pawn shops, second-hand shops, local markets - there's bargains to be had! (though don't let me dissuade you from a nice, shiny new toy if you so desire. One of the great things about being retired is you have so many choices).
I understand your comment about not feeling "useful", but hey, you've done your bit - now you can kick off your shoes and be a full-time photographer. How's that?
Love that bluegrass music. I play mandolin in a band (bunch of old farts) and we struggle through Biil Cheatham and Whiskey Before Breakfast (slooowwwly) now and again.
Enjoy the forum!
02-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #18

Original Poster
Wombat, Dame Edna must be a very adventurous soul, with the wombat botty stuff going on. (I hope I didn't just say something bad). Thanks for the advice about kicking off my shoes. That attitude helps. My new camera and lens just arrived 3 days ago. I snapped a few shots, and I can't wait to really learn about the camera. The new lens I settled on is a Pentax D FA 50mm 2.8 macro since the majority of my pics are of flowers and insects. Landscapes are mostly on vacation. I can't seem to find my 50mm 1.4 that was on my K1000. I have a Canon 50mm 1.4 ssc FD mount that came with a batch of lenses I got off an internet auction recently. I think I will most likely resell the Canon lenses and get a Pentax mount lens. I have never used adapters. Do you think it is worthwhile to try an adapter on that lens, or should I sell it? On another topic, I had a 11 year old boy visit yesterday while I was getting the K7 up and running. I put a roll of film in the K1000 and showed him how to use the long lens that was on it. He had a blast. I loved seeing someone who had never even seen a manual camera be delighted with it.
02-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #19

Original Poster
Gashog, I absolutely hated my first digital camera. I had to buy one when they first came out. It was so new and so difficult that it was many Years later when it finally started to make sense. I think I only broke through to understanding the camera when my computing skills hit a certain level. Now the dials are more intuitive and the features are more in tune with our needs. I have been very frustrated by the lack of control over the picture outcome with my earlier point and shoot digitals. I hope that I can find some artistic control again. With the P&S, I pretty much had to go with the statistical chance that I would get a good picture if I just shot enough....

02-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #20

Original Poster
Hi ejbpesca, I can't say that I won't go back to point and shoot, but the lower end ones that I have been using just didn't do anything more than record family outings well. I am sure that I could have spent more on a P&S and had one that did a great job, but I am looking forward to trying to work with the different lenses for a while. Do you have some pics to put up? I will have to reread the instructions and post some.
02-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #21
Forum Member

I have posted one photo on another thread to demo a problem I was having with my x90. Since then I have had better results with practice and I've gotten back a Canon DSLR from my daughter that is doing a great job for me.

The lil x90 takes some real getting used to. I find it more complicated than a dslr and due to that "super zoom" holding it still is imperative.

I've posted some pics on my "sky drive." I bet my Flickr pics are deleted since I've not been there in a year. I'll try to post some here once I downsize them for transmission. I have been shooting in Large fine then cropping half the photo away in order to not have to use the zoom so much. When that thing is 26x I think the vibes of the Earth shake it.

Here's one of me at Mt. St. Helens last summer taken with my Canon Rebel 300D. Did it with the timer.

I have hundreds of flower pics and the macro on the Pentax is proving to be as good or better than my previous cameras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot S1 IS  Photo 

Last edited by ejbpesca; 02-22-2011 at 05:55 AM.
02-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #22

Original Poster
EJB, Beautiful! The first pic of your self portrait is stunning. I know what you mean about the earth's vibrations. I have an Olympus P&S with an 18x lens that I gave to my husband. Apparently the earth doesn't vibrate as much with him. I spent too much time trying to get a good pic with it.