Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

New to the Forum and the world of DSLR

Hi everyone,

I always wanted to venture into the world of photography, but am scared to pay the price for cameras and lens. Once i saw a deal on the Pentax K-x series, i jumped on it. I got the K-x with the 2 lens deal [ 18 - 55mm and 55 - 300mm].

I just received the beauty yesterday and couldn't stop taking pictures. Sadly, all the pictures i've took are quite "noob".

What kind of literature would the gurus recommend to read?

Thank you in advance,

02-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, friend. You're on your way with a fine kit.
I'm certainly no guru, so I'll just suggest the first thing to do is read your manual several times and get to know your camera really well. That will help you to at least ensure your photos are properly exposed, in focus and basically "there." As for how to make your photos more interesting, there's a mountain of material on the Net, ,of course -this forum in particular - and many excellent photo magazines with sections for beginners. Also have a chat to your local library - there may be a keen photographer among the staff who can guide you toward some books. Michael Freeman and John Hedgecoe are authors who have put out pretty comprehensive books over the years. You might find copies in secondhand bookshops.
One of the things that's improved and inspired my photography is simply looking at lots and lots of photographs by some of the greats - Cartier-Bresson is my hero. I like to scour secondhand bookshops for albums with titles such as "Photography Yearbook 1980" and simply absorb the styles, the compositions, study the angles, the camera settings. Go to exhibitions and get a feel for what others are doing then grab your camera and try out some of the ideas you've learned. And one thing you'll learn very quickly is that the camera won't take great pictures all by itself, even on Automatic! The other thing you'll learn is that you'll get better as a photographer by digging deep within yourself, coming to know yourself better, finding what presses your emotional buttons, your aesthetic buttons, your compassion buttons. Photgraphy is as much about personal development as it is about technical skill.
It's a long, slow, pleasurable apprenticeship. Enjoy!

Last edited by Wombat; 02-15-2011 at 03:45 PM.
02-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum. You've got the same kit I started with three months ago. The two books I've found the most useful are: Understanding Exposure 3rd Ed. by Bryan Peterson and The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. I'd start with Peterson's book first, your library will probably have it. Have fun with your new toys.