Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

Hi from another newbie

Hi,

Have been enjoying this forum for a while and guess it's time to say hello

I'm new to pentax world with *IstDS currently as the only dslr but looking forward to upgrade it at some point. Until then I will (ab)use what I have and try to learn a lot about DSLR world.

My previous experience goes back to 1980's where I had a lot of different soviet cameras as my film SLRs (some of which I do still have around). Then some P&S's later and I'm back into the SLR world.

Anyway, nice to be here and I hope you will forgive my probably already asked many times before and possibly stupid questions I may ask about the old DS.
I promise to use search before asking something

02-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forum

i hope you've grabbed an m42 adapter for all those old soviet lenses you have kicking around. the Helios can be very good (along with some others) the industar 50 is the cheapest pancake on the market still and produces pretty good pictures
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
ovj

Original Poster
Thanks for advice, soviet lenses are cheap as dirt here so I will definitely try them out in addition to these I already have.
02-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

i haven't tried many of them as they are a little rarer here. i started shooting in 73 with a Zenit e
Ebay has them but prices are only so so

the industar 50 is on my list, and the mir 37 i think maybe the jupiter 85mm
i shoot 2 different fed rangefinders and the jupiter 12 is an amazing little lens too bad there isn't an SLR equivalent. A lot of people like the 85mm jupiter for portraits

LBA is an incurable disease BTW (lens buying addiction)

02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

the ds BTW is a great little camera. better with flash for manual lenses as it works with TTL quite well
and it has a good viewfinder, you'd need to get into the K7 or K5 to get a better one
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
ovj

Original Poster
Wow, it's nice to meet someone from North America who has such experience with soviet cameras Didn't know they get so far.

Agree on the viewfinder, it's great and that's one of many reasons I bought DS (another important reason being it's price). Of course the focusing speed could be faster, but I'm not shooting sports anyway.

The lenses you mentioned can be found here in the antique shops attached to zenit type cameras for 10-15 euros and if you get on the tourist bus and cross a border to Russia then they are even cheaper there.

Yeah, and ttl flash is also on my list (probably af-280t).

There are so many things to get and try and so many information to read on this forum...especially on how to tame the LBA.
02-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

you'd be surprised how many people over here have used (or still use ) soviet cameras. they can be pretty quirky and certainly don't perform as well as what they knock off in many cases (the old leicas are still much nicer imho but not worth the price premium for what is in essence an antique at least 60 years old now in most cases older)
they are pretty sturdy though
i dropped my zenit from the rafters above the goal at a hockey game it fell 30 feet bounced of the net and landed on the ice. aside from a small ding in it it worked just fine. wouldn't want to do that with any DSLR on the market no matter how tough it's built

02-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the soviet lens club on the forum is here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/31430-soviet-lenses-club.html
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here mate.
Indeed, you'll find members here with all sorts of interest areas.
Enjoy your time on the forum and your photography.