Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi from Venice, Florida

Hi! After conducting a month of research (including lots of posts from this forum), I am getting ready to purchase a Pentax K-5. This is my first digital SLR and cannot wait to get it.

In addition to the camera, planning to get a new tripod and couple lenses. So hoping to get some great advice and suggestions.

As a city planner, I use photos a lot in power point presentations, reports, and planning documents. As a mom of a toddler, I take lots of photos of my little man. In the past I have always used a film slr and digital point and shoot, but was ready to upgrade to a DSLR. So I started doing my homework and narrowed it down to the Nikon D7000 or Pentax K-5. While both are great cameras, the K-5 seems to fit my style and needs better.

Now, its time to pick out a tripod -- looking at the Manfrotto 055 series -- and lens or 2 -- considering at least one long range zoom and one short range zoom or fixed lens. Hoping to get some great advice, counsel, and suggestions about my new camera and purchases.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers!

02-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! The K5 is an all around great camera. I suggest getting it with the kit lens and shooting with that for a while to see what you really want/need. That way you will get a much better lens(es) that fit your specific needs. This forum can be a tremendous help with making those kinds of decisions so don't be afraid to ask any question you might have, after all you are about to spend 1000s, you should make the most informed decisions you can. Good Luck and Enjoy!
02-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Kath and hope you find this forum useful for you. You're investing in some high end gear, the K-5, the 055 tripod (for low-light landscapes?), so you may find good portrait & landscape lenses to complement your gear.

Starting a thread asking specific questions on what gear would best suit your needs in the Beginner's Q&A corner would ensure maximum exposure and advice.

Enjoy the forum.