Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The Camera for the age of videography

Hello to all,

My name is Bob Kiger and I come from a different perspective than most of you. I graduated from Rochester Institute of Photography with a BS in Professional Photography in 1970, before many of you were born.

In October of 1972 I authored "Videography! What Does It All Mean?" for AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER MAGAZINE. From that time on my interests slanted more toward the movie side of recording than stills.

Today we can purchase one device that can do both stills and movies for less than the cost of a good lens in the 1970s.

For 12 years between 1972 - 1982 I owned and operated Videography Studios, a pioneering facility in video special effects, music video, documentary and commercial production. Then my life took an abrupt turn.

I moved to Maui and began "Cruiser Bob's" Maui downhill bike tours. For the next 14 years I constantly worked to develop cameras and mounts that could record the action of coming down a volcano at high speed on a bicycle.

Today the Pentax Optio W30 is the camera of choice because it was waterproof and had a decent imaging capability with 7 megapixels and SD quality movies. Here are some links to the work of my lab.

www.imacam.org and please check out the Optio W30 review.

Lest I be immediately labeled a strictly "video guy" check out a page layout from Cruiser Bob's Tour da' Maui, a coffee table format ebook.

I joined the Pentax Forum because Pentax has a shot at becoming the first true videography recording device of the 21st Century. Sent an extensive critique and suggested features to the Pentax offices in Colorado . . . but have gotten NO feedback except that all designing is done in Japan. So this is a wake up call for Pentax Corporate.

When I was in college there were three camera names that everybody accepted. Leica, Hasselblad and Nikon.

Pentax, Canon, Bronica, Minolta, Olympus etc. were "wannabees".

Today Pentax has come back to have something very good but not yet great! More importantly . . . no other manufacturer [including SONY, Panasonic, Olympus, Canon, Nikon etc.] have anything that can touch the features of the Pentax Optio W30. This could change at any time.

So will Pentax listen? Will you read the results of our testing? If so, we'd love to hang around.

Sorry for ranting on introduction but action is required to get a classic camera for the 21st Century . . . "the age of videography" It is now within our grasp.

Last edited by Videography; 10-15-2007 at 10:22 PM.
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a decent video camera out there that can take 6mp stills? Not that I know of. There's still a long way for the two to converge yet, though i don't doubt it will happen.
10-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Bob. I look forward to checking out your site & work. Cruiser Bob's is a fantastic sounding business... "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"! I hope you have luck with your desire to "have someone listen"; tough times for them tho...