Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Hello from Rhode Island

In the late 70's I started my amateur camera addiction with a Canon AE1, a couple zooms and a few primes. After about a decade it seems that I migrated more to point and shoot compact cameras as a convenience of getting "snapshots" of family events vs nothing.

Wife, kids, job, a busy schedule often contributed to leaving the delicate good gear at home in favor of an easily carried compact 35 and later digital camera; especially when the weatherproof gear came on the scene. Most of my outdoor pursuits involve water (fishing, diving, etc), so WP became a big advantage and I began taking more and more shots, rekindling that old flame. Still I was held back a bit because I loved the flexibility of digital but the P&S cams are restrictive in technical capability. DSLRs were not where I needed them to be yet.

Enter the K10d. A 10 meg wp DSLR with shake reduction (nice on a boat and inside with natural light) fit the bill perfectly. They even have a few wp lenses that are reasonably fast. It seemed to be just what I was looking for, and based on my research - mainly in these forums - I bought one a few weeks ago. I've been messing with it; learning all the controls and am very impressed with what the camera lets me do.

The 18-55 kit lense is a good performer, but I ordered the DA* 16-50 because it's better optics and faster with the ability to go a bit wider and its weatherproof. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I just hope it's not one that has backfocus problems like I've recently read about here.

So that's me in a nutshell saying hello.

Roger

10-16-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to "meet" you on the forum. looking forward to see some shots that combine your other hobbies.
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Roger

Good to meet you. I'm new here as well. Our histories are somewhat similar and parallel more or less the same time period (late 70's to present for photography).

Having to buy two of everything (since my wife wanted her own camera and system), I've had to hold back a bit on extra lenses for the present. Two k10d's was about all the budget could allow for in that direction anyway. From what I have read, I'm sure you will find your new lens a joy.