Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Point-N-Shoot to DSLR Culture Shock

After years of using various point-n-shoot (Olympus C135, Kodak Easy-Share, Panasonic LZ-8) I used my tax refund for a K-x after researching for a flexible beginners DSLR. Now equiped with both stock 18-55 and 80-200 kit lenses, a screw-on .45 macro lens ordered... I'm ready to do some serious testing. There is SO MUCH more that can be done with a DSLR now that I've tried a few things. But I've got many questions and will try not to ask anything REAL noobish, but bear with me please..... you guys are my peers and I need you!

02-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. You might check out the Beginner's Section for answers to common questions.
02-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! If you lurk here a bit you'll learn a lot. You can always use the search function as well. If you can't find the answer you're looking for there's lots of good help here. Have fun with your new kit!
02-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here and don't worry about the stuff you don't know yet. The only silly questions are the ones not asked (or searched for the answer to)

Enjoy the forum.

02-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

I'll agree with your culture shock. For decades all I used was a trusty Olympus OM-1 (pre-digital!). Nothing automatic, all controls were right up front and pretty obvious. The learning curve to get optimal results with my K10D has felt pretty steep. On the plus side, I used to be pretty stingy, considering the costs, and only took "good" shots. Now I can afford to really play around with the camera since taking 50 shots doesn't cost any more than one shot (except in brain cells...). That's made it easier to learn the camera. Have fun with your new toy.
02-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome. Pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure, great little book that explains key concepts easily
02-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome committee. 'Pick up a copy of Understanding Exposure'..... I will try to get that book. I just ordered some extension tubes for macro experiments and just received a 'working' $6 JJC remote control.... so Let the Experiments Begin!!!!!