Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Pentax Wannabe

My dad used to shoot pentax, I got rid of my Nikon gear because it was too big, bulky, and heavy for the kind of travelling/backpacking I like do to. Looking forward to picking up a K-5 and a few limited primes!

02-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Ex Canikon users are always welcome.
02-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to have you here.
I'm sure the K-5 will impress you.
02-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats, I am sure you will enjoy the exclusive world of Pentax

02-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lsucadien Quote
My dad used to shoot pentax, I got rid of my Nikon gear because it was too big, bulky, and heavy for the kind of travelling/backpacking I like do to. Looking forward to picking up a K-5 and a few limited primes!
K-5 and the DA ltds are a fantastic travel combo. No need for camera bag, just show them down in your pockets! And the modest speed of these lenses are no problem any longer due to the fantastic low light performance of the K-5.
02-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
K-5 and the DA ltds are a fantastic travel combo. No need for camera bag, just show them down in your pockets! And the modest speed of these lenses are no problem any longer due to the fantastic low light performance of the K-5.
Perfect! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Now only if the Iranian government will grant that visa.
02-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well I've had the K-5 for two days now, I regret to say I am very disappointed. I really want to love this camera, dimensionally it's perfect, it's feature set is more than I'll ever need....however the autofocus is just awful. One problem is I'm coming from the D300s and took the focus system for granted as I can see now.

I know no camera is perfect, but as someone who makes their living as an engineer, I believe this camera has a design flaw and I don't know why anyone would invest this kind of money such an obviously flawed product.

I really don't want to go back to the bulk of the Nikon system, but this just won't do what I need. Totally bummed about it.
02-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Exactly what is the problem? I find the AF on the K-5 to be fast and very accurate (although in low light I can make it do the front focus thing)

02-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well I'm actually scanning back through my D300s files and I"m seeing the same issue, lots of pictures in low lamp light indoors where it totally missed the focus. I'm glad I checked before running back to Nikon. I really hope Pentax can improve the front focus issue however.