Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Newbie from New York

Hi all,

(Finally) Just joined up here. Learned basic photography in HS (longer ago than I'd care to say) and started getting back in the film game a few years ago....had an old Vivitar with M42 lenses and came across a K1000 about a year ago...That little camera has been a revelation!

I have had far cheaper and more pricey gear but the K1000 has to be my favorite - for ease of use, but also because I've made some of my best pictures with it.

Glad to be here and registered after lurking for a bit.

-p

02-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! We're looking forward to your participation!
02-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks!
02-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Welcome.

What kind of lens(es) you got on the 1000?

02-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Millionth Poster!
Site Supporter

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your work with the k1000
02-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
The lens that came with the K1000 is a Ricoh Rikenon 50mm f2. It's lightweight and the build quality doesn't look so special - but the results have been surprisingly good.

The K1000 uses a K-mount; I got a genuine Pentax adapter for the screwmounts and it works very well, no issues as seen with the third party cheapo adapters. The screwmounts are probably similar in quality level and price to the Ricoh, but a cut below i image quality, imo:
  • Vivitar 50mm f1.8 (Cosina made, like the camera it came on, a Vivitar 220/SL)
  • Vivitar 28mm 2.8 (Komine made)
  • Albinar 135mm telephoto
My wife purchased the wide angle and telephoto to compliment the prime when she borrowed the Vivitar for a trip to Europe many years ago.

I got the screwmount adapter because we already had the M42s from the Vivitar, and I like to take two bodies that share lenses with me on trips. But nice as the Ricoh has been, I would like to get one or two lenses that really compliment the K1000. Any suggestions for a great all-around lens or two are more than welcome.

I know there is talk on the web of that Ricoh being one of the big 'sleepers' around but I just like it for a bang/buck factor. I also love how light it makes the camera - it's very usable to just toss in my bag everyday and then snap on the street at lunch.
Attached Images

03-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #7

I think I have seen that photo before! Perhaps on a jet-ski forum...

03-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, lurk no more that's you introduced now.
03-17-2011, 03:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu Quote
I think I have seen that photo before! Perhaps on a jet-ski forum...
Small World! Whatup, SB?
03-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

Doing well, thanks. I had a nasty crash last Jan that had me in the hospital twice. So, for the most part, I took a year off. But I'm riding again this year.

I made the move to digital last year (Kx). It was something I had been planning to do for a while, but two rolls of wasted film (stuck aperture lever on one of my lenses) in conjunction with limited developing options really made me want to do it immediately. I still suck at photography.

I think you've got most of the focal ranges I would want to see covered with some old-school primes. If you were thinking of moving to a DSLR, you might want to invest in k-mount lenses (not because you have to, because it's easier/quicker). M-series would be perfect for the K1000, but A-series would be a better transition lens (IMHO). What you want to shoot will dictate what you'll shop for.

Best wishes, and don't forget to share your photos. Here and/or the jet-ski forum.
03-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
Ouch! Glad you're healing up. I've been getting banged around the past year too, I've barely ridden since last summer. Trying to shake a nasty ankle sprain as we speak....

Actually I just sold off all of my Vivitar stuff; I decided I'd like to instead get a decent wide angle and/or 105 or 135 Pentax SMC lens to go with the Ricoh prime. I'm trying to keep the Pentax investment low-budget and lo-fi. I already have some more serious money sunk (and I do mean SUNK! ) into Nikon film gear, and for digital my wife has a decent Canon system, so if I take the plunge digitally I may just get a newer Canon body to use her lenses or a new Nikon body and have my old Nikkor lenses modded to fit.

I actually was toying with selling my K1000 too, but I just love that little camera! I've been tossing it in my bag everyday and enjoying shooting on little lunchtime strolls. I love my sturdy Nikon F2 but that's like a brick to carry around.