Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
So, I joined three plus years ago, this is my welcome message

After stopping being poor, and thinking that eventually I'd father a child, and remembering my passion for photography from childhood, I decided four plus years ago to buy my first DSLR.

I remember searching and wasting huge amount of time looking for the perfect camera. Almost all the discussions from people in the same situation would get responses like "what type of photography do you like?" So, before being one more person to ask newbie questions, I thought about it some more. After thinking about it, I decided that available light photography was my favorite (and portraits/candids)

So, that narrowed my choices. I had the Nikon D40 in my Amazon shopping cart, when I discovered the PENTAX K100D on a last search before pulling the trigger on the D40. It was love at first ker-chink! I bought it with the 18-55mm and 50-200mm kit. After that, my first prime was the FA 35mm f/2, such a beautiful lens!

Two and a half years later, and more than 30K pictures, my baby girl, Sofía, was born. That was the perfect excuse to buy the K-7, with it's beautiful sounding shutter, which I bought a year ago. Then I got the 50-135mm and later the 16-50mm, plus the 31mm Limited MIJ! plus battery grip.

Eventually, I thought I had had enough practicing available light photography, so I purchased a Metz 58 AF-1 flash, and have been practicing for about half a year.

To justify 4000+ USD worth of equipment (because having beautiful pictures of your only child apparently isn't enough, according to my wife), I decided to go and shoot musical and dancing events, and try to sells some photos. I have a very time demanding job, so this photo selling job is very, very on the side.

Here are some albums I've uploaded (which have minimal post-processing. I do extensive PP on the ones I sell)

Escuela Cubana de Ballet | José Luis Ramírez | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

After becoming increasingly frustrated with the K-7's high ISO noise, four days ago I decided to buy the K-5. OH, BOY! Today I made some test shots with the both the K-7 and K-5... my jaw dropped to the floor!

My biggest problem was trying to stop the action in ballet presentations, but I couldn't stomach going above 1600, which I rarely did, because the low-light+high ISO was a formula for noise disaster.

After saying all that, I'm very happy with my decision four plus years ago to go the PENTAX route. Fortunately, the AF speed and lens selection I just enough for my needs, at least for now.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to post here more often

02-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome (finally) penta-mx,
I also enjoy shooting without a flash and have also been disappointed by the K-7's noise issues. It is my first DSLR and I've had it for under a year but would also like to upgrade a bit further down the track.

Cheers.
02-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, I understand that the K5 is a great piece of kit, enjoy it.
02-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the warm welcome.

03-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #5

Welcome from another new member! I have had a Pentax since last century (1995) but my first SLR film was in 2002, and a DSLR (K200D) a little over two years ago. Only for the fun of it even if I was sometimes the official photographer at some events in the school I was working in before.
03-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Hello