Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from downunder

Hello Pentax fans, any other K7 users in Christchurch New Zealand at the moment?

The earthquake has really screwed up my Heritage building project, since most of them are now wrecked, wished i'd gotten more shutter time in. Looks like i've missed my window of opportunity, I have shots of places that are going under the bulldozer in the next few days or weeks.

If anyone has Heritage shots from Christchurch, the Ciy Council Heritage team will be interested in them, we face a very naked city. Too many empty spaces punctuated with tilt slab concrete boxes, poorly concieved architecture and the ever spreading blight of overpriced carparks.

Attached Images

02-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome Fitzy, from an Oz member who has a soft spot for Christchurch.
Must say, thoughts to you and your city in the wake of the devastation of that terrible earthquake...

I think there are a couple of Christchurch residents on here.
I was over there last year actually (and meant to be this year in a few weeks...), so I'll dig up a couple of my architecture shots. Hope things are going OK for you over there...

cheers,
Jason
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks digger, loads of Aussies here at the mo' NSW fire and rescue for one.
Thanks for the kind words, we have about 800 heritage buildings in a terrible state, we may well
Loose the lot. Demo has started, any shots you have are a treasure now.
Cheers!
02-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day Fitzy.
Good having you here.
Hope things recover OK there and that some of the nostalgia of the town can be restored.

03-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Ash. Hoping to get some disaster photography tips on Pentax Forums. Running and shooting in green mode lacks a certain style...I won't say 'i'll get it right next time'...cos I'm hoping like mad there won't be one.
03-01-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Fitzy,

No doubt I will have a couple more, but here are some shots I quickly grabbed from my Flickr page.

1. Makes me really upset to think about what happened to this...

2. Not too sure what this was, I think it was a school or university building, as see from the tourist tram.

3. MG parked in Cathedral Square

4. Christchurch Cathedral interior

These were all taken in late March/April 2010.
Actually I will be in NZ again in April this year. And I will be going through Christchurch actually, to some extent. Fitzy we could even do a meetup for photos if you're interested?

And 800 buildings!!

Jason.
03-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, lets hope they can restore/rebuild some of these old buldings at least to their former glory. It would be truly sad to lose them all.
03-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Kerrowdown, My Wifes parents are from Aberdeen, and my Grandmother was from Caithness, we like the Scots down here. If you know any engineers, they'd be most welcome here.
We've been comparing the stonework here and there. Looks like ours wasn't so crash hot, even some of the Earthquake strengthened structures copped a hiding. We may save a few, over 800 damaged so far...

03-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
That one of the Cathedral interior,....could get me a bit misty eyed.
03-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Few more of us hang out here : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/gatherings-photo-trips-groups/41021-kiwi-pentaxians.html

Hope you're coping okay.

And seeing as you're in Chch, go along to IR Little's place and give them a kick for being useless would you please?
03-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks that Man.

Go the Mighty Hurricanes!

Wife supports Waikato, i'm meant to cheer on poor old Wairarapa Bush....

Cheers for the kind words, shes hard being a Pentaxian with all these bloody Nikons and Canons roaming around, attached to the worlds media. Haven't been camera snubbed yet,..

Cheers for the link, and just because I have earthquake brain, whats IR's again?
03-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Good ol' Bush. Have my doubts about the Canes this season

IR Little are the importers of Pentax gear in NZ, they are in Chch. They are hopeless. They don't import much to start with, and they charge an arm and a leg for it. Quite a few of us have emailed them complaining, but never hear back. I know that Greg from P&V in Chch (which is open again btw) doesn't think much of them.
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ah ha!

Yep, Greg from P&V is a Prince among men, they had a sale not too long ago - think it was IR stock, nabbed the DA*50-135mm and a 35mm Macro. IR is out by the airport if I recall correctly, the 50-135mm was a very reasonable $1,500, big mark downs across the board. Missed out on a PK mount Sigma 10-20mm, also cheap, which would of made my architectural heritage project. Too effing late now.

They had liquifaction inside their shop on the 22nd Feb, but they were back in business very quickly, great team.