Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New to Photojournalism

I am taking a photojournalism class at SIU carbondale, and I am the only one using a pentax. I was offered to use the school's loaner canon and decided I would rather learn on my K-x instead of learning on a canon version.

My wife and I are preparing to become missionaries in Mexico some day and I decided to get the best camera for my money. My dad an ex-film photographer said he wished he had gotten a Pentax when he was shooting, so I looked into it and fell in-love.

Since I have learned how to use the manual setting from my class, one day hoping to save up for a K-5 since they are in the lead for ruggedness and ability.

I shoot I wide rang of subjects from stills, to action and kids, to nature and wildlife.

02-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, it's the seeing of the image with photojournalism that makes the real difference to a great picture.
02-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Esteban14,

Welcome to the wonderful & rewarding world of Photojournalism! I have been doing it since late '70s and it open my eyes to new perspective (hardware or subject matter) every day.

Although new cameras & lenses do marvels, I still keep and use lot of my manual gears. Murphy's Law prevails even with backup batteries. K5 has high ISO setting but it still need fast lenses (bulky) to achieve speed in focusing & processing. I find a small Point & Shoot camera with manual controls not only great as a backup, but also easier to break down barriers in many situations.

I agree with kerroedown that subject matter is the essence. Hardware & proper exposure are secondary.
02-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you kerrowdown and MJL. I appreciate the encouragement. I am very pleased with my K-x and am looking forward to seeing the world in a different light.