Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Pentax k7 user from Utah

Hi everyone! I just thought I would introduce myself. I have been doing photography professionally for 2 years now. I mostly like childrens candid photography. I have 3 girls who are my best models
I really like the Pentax K7 for a few reasons, but have yet to find the perfect lens for my type of photography. I have the Pentax 50mm 1.4, but would really like to get something more versitile. I am planning on selling my 50mm soon, so if any of you are interested let me know.
I am trying to decide between the Sigma 24-70mm and the Pentax 50-135. I have read about the 50-135, and while it seems like a great lens, I am a little disappointed to find out it has problems with the AF. A lot of reviews for that lens and the 16-50 are saying I might end up sending it in for a repair, that will be fixed well once its fixed, but it will most likely have to be done.
Does anyone else have a suggestion for portrait candid photography? I would like something with a good zoom on it too, to get further away shots.
Anyway! Good to meet you all! I can't wait to get started on the forums!
Happy photo shooting!

02-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings Julimucca!

Make sure to come join the Utah Pentax Users Group: Utah Pentax Users Group - PentaxForums.com

I own the 16-50 and the 50-135. These are amazing lenses that you shouldn't overlook. I've never had problems with my 50-135. I have had to send in my 16-50 for repair, but it sounds like the ones made today don't have the same issue. Nevertheless the quality of the pictures you can get out of the 16-50 are amazing.

On another thread someone said having the two lenses is like having a bag of primes, and I'm inclined to agree.

Hope to see you in the user group!

Clint
03-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you so much Clinton! That is great to hear about those lenses, because I was so disappointed to read so many comments about them having problems. I was wondering, do you by chance have any photos from either of those lenses you might be able to share, just so I can get an idea of their quality? I know they are supposed to be really great with their picture quality. If not that's o.k, but thank you so much for your comment and I will for sure go to the Utah users group!
Thank you!
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll try to find you some good samples and PM them to you, but the forum is ripe with samples.

In the meantime, this might be a great way to try before you buy:

CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 ED (IF) SDM smcP-DA Lens Rental
CameraLensRentals.com - Pentax 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM smcP-DA Lens Rental