Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #1

Greetings! (And first Pentax problems)

Hello to all. I have been invited to inttroduce myself. I hope I am doing this correctly. I am new to Pentax, having been brand-loyal to Canon for 25 years, film and digital. Last year I decided that some fresh equipment would be interesting so I sold my Canon DSLR gear on eBay and, in December, bought a K-r . I cannot say that I have been overwhelmed by the results so far. I read that Pentax lenses are excellent but I have bought and returned for refund both a 35mm f2.4 and a 17-70 f4. The present 16-45 is a bit better but - dare I say it - not as good as my little Canon S90 compact. I am not returning it because three lenses cannot all be lemons. The fault must lie in me or the K-r body. I am wondering whether I should attempt fine adjustment of the auto-focus but the manual warns me of possible negative consequences. Sorry not to be a little ray of sunshine on my first appearance! I shall go to Focus on Imaging at the NEC next week and ask at the Pentax stand but if anyone else can make any suggestions I shall be very grateful. Cheers.

03-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, rays of sunshine are not often expected in the UK.

Might I suggest a phone call to Pentax UK, or if purchased new, a word with the dealer or retailer you bought from, as I'm not sure the Pentax stand at NEC will be able to help much.
03-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks, Kerrowdown. I shall have to go back to Jessops.
03-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day and welcome. Not being sure what the problem may be from what's been said so far, I'd do some quick 'tests' under favourable lighting conditions to see if focus is correct and you can get sharp images as expected from the camera and lens. If not, you may well be right. If you do then look again at your settings to ensure there is no camera shake or motion blur causing the ordinary results.

Posting examples of your images may help in this regard.

03-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To get the same kind of results you see from a p&s you are going to have to stop down the lens, increase the color saturation, and bump up the sharpness. You will never get the same kind of DoF because the sensor is much larger on a DSLR.
03-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The K-r with any of those lenses should be able to produce nice images, better than a p&s

something must be up
03-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
It would be incredible bad luck to get bad copies of all those lenses and all are more than capable of some pretty stellar images, the 35 f2.4 form what i've seen punches far above it's class thanks to the lower cost plastic construction, and larger production runs of a kit lens
Please post examples, as Ash said we can be far more helpful if we can see the problem. A photo with the Exif attached and a description of what you felt was wrong and what you wanted will bring a plethora of answers that will be very helpful.

03-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Many thanks to all who have tried to help. As I wrote before, the problem has to be in me or the K-r, not in the lenses. I am now tending to think that it is in me! Pentax pictures may just have a different look to those from my first DSLR (Canon 400D with Sigma 17-70). Another factor is the light that has been available since I bought the K-r; we have had two months of almost unrelieved murk and gloom. So maybe I am simply not comparing like with like when I look at summer pictures from the 400D and S90 next to K-r pictures from the Birmingham winter? However, even given all the above, a doubt remains about the consistency of results. I would like to insert some sample pictures but have not yet worked out how to do it! Back later if I manage it. Thanks again.