Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi Everyone

Hello Everyone,

I have finally bitten the bullet and joined this forum after lurking in the background for a time. I love using Pentax DSLR equipment but I'm still learning so I hope you will bear with me because I see there are some very experienced photographers on this site.
I really like doing wildlife photography and I love black and white. I recently went to an exhibition of work by the Australian photographer, Christopher Rimmer. All the pictures were huge black and whites which were just wonderful. I have heard that he sometimes uses Pentax equipment. I'd love to know how he does his black and white conversions if this is true because I'm getting nothing like this kind of quality and to be truthful, I left the exhibition feeling a bit depressed. I've added two shots from the catalogue here and I hope it doesn't infringe any copyright as it is just for fair use.
If any one has any hints on how I might try to get this look that he gets, I'd like to hear them. In the meanwhile, I'll enjoy participating more now rather than sitting in the background. Thanks everyone. Sean

Attached Images

03-04-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good having you on board Sean, those images are indeed nice, and if they're freely linkable, you should have no worries posting them with acknowledgement. Monochrome processing can be complex, and there are some dedicated B&W software packages available that make this happen quick and easy, like the Nik Silver Efex Pro and others in the series.
03-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ash, I might give this software a try. The guy in the gallery said that Christopher Rimmer lugs a lot of equipment around Africa to get these shots which made me think they may be shot on film and darkroom processed which I wouldn't even know where to start. I've been using the desaturation level on CS2 to do my black and whites and until viewing this exhibition, was very happy with them, now I'm certainly not! Maybe this software is the answer.
03-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Sean,
I just joined today, so I can relate! I am also a new, inexperienced photographer. I also enjoy taking pix of wildlife, and I'm trying to learn all the nuances of photography (shutter, aperture, and iso adjustments etc.) to improve my shots. I'm finding that, just like everything else, the more you learn, the more you realize you still have left to learn!

03-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So true, I'd be happy getting one quarter of what Christopher Rimmer does. I've been mucking around all day with the desaturation and levels on CS2 but I can't even get anything like this quality.