Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New to Pentax and DSLR

Hi all,

I've been reading your forum with great interest the past week or so while I researched and decided on my first DSLR purchase. Thanks largely to Woot's deal on the K-x the other day, which put the Pentax brand in my field of vision, I decided on a new K-r with 18-55mm kit lens! It is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait! I had been contemplating the Nikon D3100 and Canon T2i as well, but the value of the K-r and it's rich set of features along with glowing reviews and high ISO capability, enticed me. I really am amazed at the great high ISO image quality which I feel makes it a very versatile camera.

My current camera is a bridge Fuji S100FS, which has a lot of manual controls, so I've been learning about aperture, shutter, ISO, etc. But I've never been entirely happy with the image quality with that "do it all" camera. Not sure if I'll keep it or not, though I probably will at least for a while since it does have a very long zoom range, and I have a macro lens that can be added on to it that works pretty well.

Nevertheless, this is my first DSLR, and I'm sure I will struggle early to learn how to use it properly. I will probably do mostly landscapes and pet photography. (I have 13 cats - long story that is, but I guess you can call me Crazy Cat Lady!) But I am happy taking pictures of anything interesting, though I sometimes struggle to find interesting things!

Thanks so much for providing all the information you already have provided me, and I look forward to learning more and more in the coming months and years.

03-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here and congrats on choosing the K-r - it's sure to impress.
Enjoy it here as well as your photography.
03-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the nice welcome, Ash. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. Hope one day I can contribute some great photos like the ones I see here!
03-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No worries mate. And just remember that only your first 10,000 shots are your worst.

03-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, 13 cats eh, well two is enough for me.
03-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

hi and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll have lots of questions as time goes on and there are lots of friendly knowledgeable folk like Ash here to answer them (i try when i know the answer) with 13 cats this will be the thread for you

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/14351...y-post-up.html
03-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, kerrowdown, I had planned on two but life has a funny way of changing things on you.

Thanks, eddie1960! I love that thread!

This is a photo I took of one of my babies with my Fuji. I hope to be able to get better photos with the Pentax. (But I do like this one!)

Last edited by loco; 03-04-2011 at 05:54 PM.
« Hi guys | Hi All »