Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Toronto, Canada

Having started as a 12 year old with a Kodak box camera, I acquired my first Pentax 35mm while on UK army leave in Tokyo in 1953. Many film and digital cameras later I find myself drawn to M42 screw-mount lenses because of their superb construction, engineering and not least, their IQ. My current SLR's require an M42 adapter with a built-in glass lens to achieve infinity focus. It makes no sense to me to place additional glass between a good Takumar, Zeiss or Pentax lens and this has led me back to Pentax and the Spotmatic series after all these years. I no longer have 20/20 vision, so have been practicing manual focusing for a few weeks. If any of the members can recommend a Pentax body that takes M42 Screw-mount lenses with a really bright viewfinder I will be pleased to receive their advice.
I look forward to participating in this forum. Thanks.

03-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any Pentax SLR or DSLR can use a relatively inexpensive adapter that allows infinity focusing. I have one. It is a simple circle of metal with M42 threads on the inside and K bayonet lugs on the outside. I can recommend only the genuine Pentax version, which will run you $30 - $40. They work. The third party adapters may or may not work. Some do not allow infinity focus because they overlap the mount, some go on easily but are a pain to remove. As the adapter is a one time only purchase, the difference in price is not terribly significant. I bought one myself this year, $40 Cdn delivered.
03-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome mike7f.

I agree with Canada Rockies who always has good advice.

I use a Pentax K100d that may be manually focused although I find myself relying more and more on its autofocus.

I may. eventually, step up to the K5 which unfortunately, like Toyota, seems to have an unending supply of bugs that must be eliminated before I take the plunge.

Mickey (Toronto too)
03-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Canada Rockies & Mickeyobe. Good advice, and I agree about purchasing a genuine Pentax adapter for a K mount camera if I forsake the Spotmatics. The remaining question for me, as I intend to use manual focus lenses against all reason, is viewfinder brightness and split prism focusing. Do any of the screw-mount Spotmatics measure up, or would I do better with one of the manual focus Pentax K mount bodies? User experience in this regard is helpful as I continue to research this. Many thanks

03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Mike. Now there is one more canadianj pentax user into the mix yeah. I would suggest the genuine adapter in addition if you plan to use manual focus lenses a lot I would suggest getting a focusing screen the stock viewfinder is hard to focus with if youve used the old camera before.
03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the focusing screen advice. I am about to purchase a used but almost mint condition black body Pentax Spotmatic F and will consider all the advice received here.
03-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I can recommend the Katzeye range of focus screen products, you'll have to check if the they have something suitable for your cameras.

03-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum Mike, i can identify with the eyesight issues
I agree with all the above for the mos part. Aside from Katzeye (where the optibrite has caused exposure issues for some) focusingscreen.com has some nice screens, I have an old nikon k3 screen with a rule of thirds grid in my K7. avoid the lower end if you want a big bright viewfinder. the k7 and k5 both have nice viewfinders. You might also look into a diopter adapter. I got a +3 diopter adapter (my reading prescription) from Pentax Canada for not very much ($25 i think) makes a world of difference

As for Film bodies the real trick is to find one in good shape. I would lean to a newer than Spotmatic K mount bodies like a Kx/Mx/Lx or Km for example. all well built good bodies with good screens. Accessories like a diopter adapter can be hard to find for the old cameras so I wear my glasses and have a rubber eyecup on mine
I see you are from Toronto so if you want good fast inexpensive c-41 process and basic scan for web the shoppers at king and yonge does an excellent job for all of $2.99 - more with prints of course at other shoppers YMMV i think.
I look forward to seeing some of your vision of Toronto there are a pretty good number of us on here
03-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Eddy 1960. Good advice. Have already obtained a black body Pentax Spotmatic F in a swap for my Nikon FM2 for the sole reason that I needed a screw mount, or K-mount with adapter for my screw mount lens. A difficult decision as the FM2 has been faultless for 20+ years. The Spotmatic and lens are on their way to the USA for a CLA. Meantime I will pickup a later Pentax body as you suggested, and a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens as a second system. Will try the C41 processing at Shoppers on King as I live only 3 blocks from it and do my own film scanning in high res as I often do large prints.
Will be in touch when I have some results. Nice friendly forum.
03-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mike7fa Quote
Thanks Eddy 1960. Good advice. Have already obtained a black body Pentax Spotmatic F in a swap for my Nikon FM2 for the sole reason that I needed a screw mount, or K-mount with adapter for my screw mount lens. A difficult decision as the FM2 has been faultless for 20+ years. The Spotmatic and lens are on their way to the USA for a CLA. Meantime I will pickup a later Pentax body as you suggested, and a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens as a second system. Will try the C41 processing at Shoppers on King as I live only 3 blocks from it and do my own film scanning in high res as I often do large prints.
Will be in touch when I have some results. Nice friendly forum.

i use them for proofing, then do a high res or wet print

wish i could find a reasonable b/w shop for the same scanning is tedious
03-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Eddy 1960,
Would like to discuss Toronto facilities for developing, processing and scanning with you, but being new to this site, suspect that it would be off topic for this thread. What is the recommended path?
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

you could start a thread asking for recommendations or just PM me and i'll help where i can. Most of the Pro labs are downtown (with one or 2 exceptions) so it will be convenient for you
03-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have used Eddie Blacks at Centerpoint Mall. Steeles and Yonge Sts.
The prints were very poor but the scanning to disc was good and a few minutes with Photoshop gave me satisfactory results.
I just don't order prints anymore.

By the way, that store in particular has people running it that actually are familiar with photography. Something new for EB's.
I wonder if the chain is under new ownership.

Mickey
03-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I have used Eddie Blacks at Centerpoint Mall. Steeles and Yonge Sts.
The prints were very poor but the scanning to disc was good and a few minutes with Photoshop gave me satisfactory results.
I just don't order prints anymore.

By the way, that store in particular has people running it that actually are familiar with photography. Something new for EB's.
I wonder if the chain is under new ownership.

Mickey
Thanks Mickey
worth a try
mike