Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #1

Newbie with new baby and K-x

hello all!
just wanted to say hi to everyone here since i recently purchased K-x to take pictures of my new baby girl(born on 3/3). I bought the K-x with 18-55 DA L and 55-300 DA L. It is my first DSLR and still don't really know how to use it. I hope that this forum will be great place to learn.

I hear that the kit lenses aren't the best for portrait pix and wanted to know if there are any bargain lenses i can get for K-x (preferably less than $150). I think i read that i have to buy K-mount lenses. Can't spend too much since so much goes into buying baby stuff.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

03-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, for starters the lenses you have will do fine for portraits in most circumstances with good lighting or a flash. On occasions of low light or when you would like to have a nice blurred background you will find the kit lens lacking.

If you would like to achieve low-light shots/blurred background shots I suggest a moderately fast lens (with an aperture of f/2.8 or less). You can acquire the bargain DA 35 f/2.4 prime for under $200 shipped from prodigital2000 (on eBay). Although 35mm is not seen as a typical portrait focal length, I actually prefer it for younger children. I would recommend you get this lens as your first upgrade.
03-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Firefly:

thanks! it's good to know that you haev the same camera and use what you are recommending. even though with so much information out there, it's still hard to figure out what is really useful to individual users.