Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #1

Newbie looking to purchase k5 of d7000

Hi everyone, im newbie from perth, looking to purchase a k5 or a nikon d7000 or possibly a canon 7d. I am currently on the fence, with the k5 and the nikon.

Im new to SLR and interested in learning about cameras, and would like to get the gear right and enter the world of SLR.

I am concerned the k5 is basic compared to the d7000.

I am concerned the k5 video is poor, and lacks any control, compared to the d7000. Assuming manual focus is the only thing accessible.

I am concerned there is limited types of lens available for pentax.

Is this a good camera, for all types of shots? My main use is really going to be for family shots, new born baby photos, your typical birthday family photos, light travelling from time to time...And also for taking photos of houses, where i intend in gettng a tokina 11-16mm lens as i love the look of ultra wide photos.

Proposed lens was the 18-135 pentax lens, but new to lens. if i get a non pentax lens, will i ever be able to use that lens on a nikon and a pentax camera, via mounting kits. or is it once you buy say a sigma lens suited to pentax, there is no option to re use it later on a nikon body?

These are silly questions but im new, and learning slowly...

Thanks

03-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Gianni.
Lots of Aussies here.
But now what makes you think the K-5 is a basic dSLR? It's Pentax's best dSLR yet, and it has more advanced features to that of the D7000 - only they share the same fine sensor.

There are plenty of lenses available for Pentax, and all Pentax dSLRs have complete backwards compatibility (unlike lower end Nikons). K-5 video is very good - if you're looking for decent AF video, you'll have to forget about dSLRs at this point in time - they don't compare to the good pro digital video cams. The K-5 is good for all types of shots, good light, low light, fast action, long exposures, portraits, whatever; it's what Pentaxians have been waiting for for quite some time.
Searching through this forum for the two cameras, you'll find a plethora of opinions and disgruntlements regarding the K-5's price point in comparison, but IMO there are important features the K-5 has over the D7000 that warrants the price difference. Now, whether these features are important to you or not is antoher story, but you ought to look well into this before you go either way.

I'd forget about trying to switch lenses between systems. You lose so much functionality that you're better off just getting dedicated K and T mount lenses for the two cameras you get.