Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Back to the roots

Hi there,

when I was a boy I started shooting with a Spotmatic II. After having given up photography, I picked up the hobby again a few years ago, shooting first Canon digital, and recently a Leica M8 and M6.

However, how fantastic both digital technology and rangefinders might be, the joy of discovering that my mother had kept my Spotmatic all these years made my heart beat faster. Strangely enough, when I put it to my eye for the first time in 23 years the first thing that struck me was the smell of the camera. At an instance I was back in my childhood. The nose has the ability to dramatically get the emotions flowing, I guess, and the vulcanite of the Spotmatick really has a distincitve smell - I promise, it's true

The camera too felt the same, even if my hands now are bigger, and even though I had not touched it for years, it all immediatly felt the same.

It is generally accepted that cars are objects that arouses emotions. But to me, cars are no more than industrial products that help me get from A to B. Cameras are different. I do love my Leicas, and I must admit to being a rangefinder kind of photographer, but the Spotmatic is the only object I own that has the power to bring me back to my childhood in an instant. That is some power, for something made of steel and rubber.

Tonight I loaded the camera with film for the first time in over 20 years. The shutter speeds seems to be working. But even if age has damaged it beoynd repair, I will never discard it. Just knowing that it is with me is enough, and I will cherish it to the end.

I finish with taking liberties with a well known quote: "This is my camera, there are many like it, but this one is mine".

Thanks for the attention. I have enjoyed reading the forum for a few days, and look forward to keep reading, and hopefully participate with some posts from time to time.

Best regards,

Fritz

03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please enjoy your stay.