Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Houston, Texas, USA - wanna be K5 owner!

Hello everyone! I'm from Houston, Texas, USA. I don't have a Pentax camera yet, but I've been lusting after a K5 for a while. The combination of great IQ in a relatively small camera is very very appealing.

The size of the camera has always been important to me. The largest/heaviest camera I have or have ever had is a Leica M7. The largest/heaviest SLR I have ever had was an Olympus E510.

I'm a total gear addict. I confess I have more gear than I'll ever need. But I figure that I'd do my part to help "stimulate" the economy! My latest camera is Panasonic GH2, after I having sold the Sony A55 that I had for about two months.

K5 is still what I am aiming for though. It will be mine ... oh yes ... it will be mine!

Looking forward to learning about the K5 from all of you. Thanks!

03-14-2011, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome, sounds like you really enjoy your photography and know what the right gear is to achieve excellent results.
03-14-2011, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. As a brand new K-5 owner myself
you are picking the right body. Feel free to ask questions. The
members on this forum are very helpful.
03-15-2011, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome. I also love my new K-5. I know you'll enjoy PF, and all of the helpful hints.

03-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Looking forward to many conversations with the folks in this forum! And hopefully I'll have some things to say about MY K-5 as well! Whenever I get it that is.
03-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #6

Wonderful to have you here! Welcome! I just took the plunge on a K5 this week (should have my hands on it tomorrow, in fact), and feel very confident and hopeful for brilliant images. I love my little kx. It has delivered above and beyond my every expectation, so I have no doubt the K5 will be even better. If there is anything you need to know about Pentax, just ask. This is definitely the place for answers. Jump in and enjoy!
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ahh, Texas. Land of the highway interchanges where nine overpasses converge in one spot and then there are four other overpasses that run 100 feet over those.

Welcome.

03-17-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, it would seem you've taken CBA to a whole new level.
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kmwsbabe Quote
Wonderful to have you here! Welcome! I just took the plunge on a K5 this week (should have my hands on it tomorrow, in fact), and feel very confident and hopeful for brilliant images. I love my little kx. It has delivered above and beyond my every expectation, so I have no doubt the K5 will be even better. If there is anything you need to know about Pentax, just ask. This is definitely the place for answers. Jump in and enjoy!
Thank you. I'm trying to decide which lenses to get as I'll be a brand new Pentax owner.
03-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Ahh, Texas. Land of the highway interchanges where nine overpasses converge in one spot and then there are four other overpasses that run 100 feet over those.

Welcome.
Looks like you've been to Texas. Or certainly Houston and Dallas!
03-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, it would seem you've taken CBA to a whole new level.
LOL! And it gets better. That's just the latest, and it doesn't cover the "other" cameras that I still have. Yikes!!!

Hoping that the K5 will hold me over until 2012 at least!
03-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
The size of the camera has always been important to me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Armanius Quote
I'm trying to decide which lenses to get as I'll be a brand new Pentax owner.
No point in having small camera with big lenses then. Get the DA limited lenses.

The DA 70 is great for portraits and some landscapes. However, if you want a zoom there are plenty of choices both from pentax and third party stuff. The DA 50-135 is very highly rated.

Check out the da limited pictures here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74194-da-limited-club.html
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

Welcome my friend - great to see you here.

Lens wise, I have the 31ltd as my walkaround lens - absolutely stunning IQ and bokeh which makes it my fav - bad thing is the price has rocketed in recent years...

From your flickr, I noticed you have quite a lot of primes (sony 16mm, Panny 20mm, various CV's)

Check out these 2 threads on these forums, which should give u some good insight to the different pentax primes (warning: might trigger lens buying addiction!):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74194-da-limited-club.html
03-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
Vince, I've been afflicted with LBA AND CBA for about 2.5 years now. They are horrible diseases. I wish there was a cure. My girlfriend wishes there was a cure!
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one... its a terrible disease which spreads rapidly and long term... strangely it only infects photographers lol. I read somewhere that buying lenses helps relief symptoms temporarily lol so true....