Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #1

Belated hello from London

I'm happy to say that after a false start or two, I'm can now participate in this forum as a Pentax owner. A little more than a month ago, I tried two different K-r's, each of which had severe FF. Unfortunately, I intend to use the camera for, amongst other things, indoor shots of my children, so this felt like a significant issue to me (particularly since many of the shots which I did take of them during the time I had the first K-r were slightly FF, even outdoors under cloudy London skies).

I waited for the firmware update for a month but ultimately came to the conclusion that I would be quite happy with a K-x (after having spent WAY too much time lurking on the K-r and K-5 forums, trying a K-x in store and knowing that the IQ is on par with the K-r). I know a firmware update for the K-r is coming, but given that the Japanese have far more important things to work on and that I just needed to put an end to the obsessive waiting, I opted for a model where I know and can live with the limitations. I might not have a few things which I really liked about the K-r (principally the better screen and the tiny-bit bigger ergonomics which fit my hand just slightly better) but I saved 100 which I can put toward another lens.

So I pulled the trigger on the K-x last night. This was in part prompted by the fact that I received a couple of Pentax F- lenses from a family member this weekend (an F 50mm 1.7 and an F 70-200, both purchased in the late-80s or early 90s). I just want to be able to get out there with them! It was a great sensation to put those lenses on the camera last night and hear the autofocus whirr to life after 10+ years of them sitting in the bottom of a closet unused. And I'm happy to say that the 50mm took some razor sharp shots under the same tungsten conditions that the K-r had trouble with.

The cost-savings which these lenses represent, together with the fact that I'm always drawn to things which are underappreciated but of higher quality (my camera for the last few years has been the Ricoh GX100) meant I never seriously considered one of the bigger brands.

The other, more personal reason I was drawn to Pentax is that my first camera was a P&S Pentax given to me by my grandparents in the late 80s/very-early 90s. Both of them were proper photography enthusiasts and they picked out a fantastic little camera for me. I can't remember the model, but it was a pocketable little thing which took great shots and which I carried with me on various trips. It disappeared when I was at university (the friends who lost it bought me a crap Minolta in replacement, which wasn't half as good but twice as big). Anyway, I don't have any deep sense of brand loyalty, but it is nice to have a camera which reminds me of my grandparents and their passion for photography.

Anyway, that's enough about me and my ridiculously over-thought process of buying a camera. I look forward to lots of photography now and to learning from the various people on these boards!

03-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from another happy K-x user! Enjoy the forums, and lets see some photos
03-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, wow that's some intro.
03-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome & congrats on new kit . Since the battery trouble was ironed out by the FW update the K-x seems to have been a top-notch-where-it-really-counts piece of kit in the kind-of-rare-but-most-desirable category of "it just works".