Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #1

Introduction - and some help, please!

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Based in UK, I've been shooting pix for more years than I care to remember. Still using film (ME Super and Leica M7) but also digital with a Samsung GX-10 (surprisingly good) and a Panasonic LX3. Love them all - and love learning from others, too, despite my years of snapping.

I have started to think about doing some wildlife work, with the GX-10 as my kit until I upgrade (probably to the Pentax K5 for the better burst rate and low-light capability). Till then, I want a decent tele zoom and thought that the Sigma 100-300 f4 would be ideal, but there is no stock here in the UK - unless any member knows different (please let me know!). The Pentax fixed focus 300mm F4 is great by all accounts, but I would prefer a zoom that won't break the bank. Frankly, I guess I must have read every review for every lens up to 1000, but none seem to have that mix of attributes that the unavailable Sigma had. I don't need to go to 400mm, as the crop on the Samsung would give me more reach than I need, but if it meant getting really good IQ, then fine. I shoot with tripod or monopod.

Can I ask members for their experiences/advice with their own tele zooms in this mid-range?

Thanks

Ray

03-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Ray, it may pay you to ask your question in either the Pentax Beginners Corner of the Pentax K-5 Owners forum.
03-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have you been watching the likes of the marketplace here and Ebay to see if you can pick one secondhand.
03-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks kerrowdown and eaglem. Yes, I have been looking on the second-hand market, but no luck. I read the review of the Tamron SP70-300 Di VC lens and was impressed with the performance, especially for a lens below 500. I spoke to Tamron to find out what the thinking was behind their decision not to offer this in a Pentax mount and it comes down to the size of the Pentax market. Perhaps the K5 will change their minds. It does seem as if Pentax owners are somewhat hobbled by lack of choice in the new lens market. The Sigma offerings (120-400 and 150-500) just don't seem to cut the mustard IMO and the Pentax 60-250 is just a tad too short and sells in the UK for 1100. Ouch! 800 is about my max.

Ray

03-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayhf1485 Quote
Thanks kerrowdown and eaglem. Yes, I have been looking on the second-hand market, but no luck. I read the review of the Tamron SP70-300 Di VC lens and was impressed with the performance, especially for a lens below 500. I spoke to Tamron to find out what the thinking was behind their decision not to offer this in a Pentax mount and it comes down to the size of the Pentax market. Perhaps the K5 will change their minds. It does seem as if Pentax owners are somewhat hobbled by lack of choice in the new lens market. The Sigma offerings (120-400 and 150-500) just don't seem to cut the mustard IMO and the Pentax 60-250 is just a tad too short and sells in the UK for 1100. Ouch! 800 is about my max.

Ray
I have Sigma's 70-300 DG f/4-5.6 w/OS. I like it. Handles well, good IQ on or off the tripod. Goes for ~$360.00 @ BH in NYC. For the price, might be worth looking at.