Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #1

Hello from Indiana

Hello, my name is Phil and I'm a Pentaxian. I've always wanted a Pentax 67 (being a medium format freak) but never got around to getting one. Then Pentax came out with the K10D. I went to the camera shop and they had a demo on display. I took a few pics with it and immediately fell in love. After four major eye surgeries I have some vision problems and the autofocus is a real blessing. I couldn't find anything not to like about this camera so I'm taking the plunge. Is there no help or am I doomed?

Cheers,

Phil

10-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum by another new member... me. There's no hope now, Phil; you're doomed. But it's a good thing, to quote Martha Stewart. We're loving our kd10 cameras (my wife and I each have our own). In fact, we're already planning our next lens purchases. LOL Yeah... you're doomed all right.
10-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Must be an obsession, I just bought a lens for a camera I don't even have yet!

Phil (:>)
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Doh!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
Must be an obsession, I just bought a lens for a camera I don't even have yet!

Phil (:>)
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! You are definately addicted!!!

10-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeah I guess, I got a Tamron AF28/300. I called Tamron and talked to someone in their tech department as they seem to have discontinued that lens. I wanted to find out what they were replacing it with. They said that about the only thing that has been changed is they put an autofocus motor in the lens. Since the Pentax has an AF motor in the body that seems redundant. She said there was absolutely no difference in the two lenses optically. I was told the new lens was heavier and more expensive due to the motor. So I bought the discontinued lens. Looks like a darned fine piece of glass.

Whats on the way is a K10D kit, two Kingston SD6/8GB SDHC cards, a D-AC50 AC adapter, Remote control F, D-BG2 Battery Grip, and two D-LI50 batteries. Are those flash cards of sufficient quality?

Can anyone think of anything else that would be essential?

Does anyone know anything about a Cameramate DM25200 card reader? I picked up one of them and it says it works with all brands of SD/MMC cards but says nothing about SDHC. The camera shop says it will work fine with the SDHC cards even though it doesn't specifically mention that card. I looked on the web site and the specs are equally iffy. Should I just spring for a more expensive reader that specifically says its for the SDHC cards? I sure don't want to ruin a card or worse for a fifteen dollar reader. I've used film cameras and done my own darkroom almost all my life but this is my first (and only) foray into digital. I've tried to get the parts that I need to do what I want to do. I like street rod shows and air shows, as well as some auto racing when I can. Love to go to transportation museums also.

Cheers,

Phil
10-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey Phil

Sounds like you've got a great kit with which to start making images. As far as I know, the Kingston cards are great. We opted for less expensive 2GB San Disk since we each have Wolverines and can transfer our shots to them in the field and then continue shooting on empty cards. But at 8GB you're not going to need to do this. I'm surprised you would buy the AC adaptor but I can see that it might have its use. Really depends upon what you want to do with your camera. The battery grip is something we'll eventually invest in as well. I've handled one and like the feeling when shooting in the vertical plane. Can't answer your question about the card reader. We use our computers which have card readers in them.
10-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi JamesD,

From what I have read on these forums and in talking to people at the camera shop, plus reading the manual, I just decided that the AC adapter might well come in handy for formatting the cards and whatever I can think of at some future time. The cost wasn't really that great considering what I have already spent on this project. I'm just trying to cover all the bases I can think of at this point. I hate needing something to do a job and not having it. Then having to order it and wait.
I can do about anything I want to do with a film camera but this digital is a new world to me. I really want to see if I can find a flat field lens of some sort for it to do copy work. I've used a roll film back and enlarging lens on my Speed Graphic for years, until scanners came along. The scanner works great for prints up to 8x10 and negatives up to 4x5, but if you have anything bigger than that its back to the copy camera.
If you don't mind my asking, what is a Wolverine? And what do you use for an image processing program? Everyone seems to use Photoshop or Elements. I have an older version of Photoshop and really don't use it enough to be competent with it. I guess I just need to work with it more. With the new digital camera that is going to be a must.
Have a great day, I'm on vacation this week, getting the cars and house winterized. I want to find time to develop some film I took with the Medalist II and Super Ikonta last weekend. Maybe even print a few. I still love the smell of a darkroom.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by Phil; 10-25-2007 at 04:17 AM. Reason: punctuation
10-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Quote
If you don't mind my asking, what is a Wolverine? And what do you use for an image processing program? Everyone seems to use Photoshop or Elements. I have an older version of Photoshop and really don't use it enough to be competent with it. I guess I just need to work with it more. With the new digital camera that is going to be a must.
Have a great day, I'm on vacation this week, getting the cars and house winterized. I want to find time to develop some film I took with the Medalist II and Super Ikonta last weekend. Maybe even print a few. I still love the smell of a darkroom.

Cheers,

Phil
Phil

Wolverines are portable hard drives available through Amazon/Costco and a host of camera stores. We have two, one of which has an image previewer. You can get them in varying memory capacities (ours... if memory serves... are 20GB and 30GB). We take them on our trips and dump our cards into them at the end of each day thereby freeing up our cards for the next day's picture-making. They're quite small... one is about the size of an ipod and the other just slightly larger. I feel they're well worth the cost.

Since digital is relatively new to us as well, we have only acquired Photoshop Elements 6 (two copies) from Costco. So far I like it. It does what I want at this stage. When I find it too limiting, I'll try something else. I know that there are many other choices from Paintshop Pro, Bibble (I've a good friend who swears by Bibble), Lightroom all the way up to the big Kahoona... Photoshop. Elements is just fine with us at this stage. Sorry I can't be of more help. I have to admit to not spending a lot of time at the computer messing about with my images. I find that for me it takes away some of the joy I have in photography since I get pretty antsy sitting at a computer... just not my thing I guess (whereas my wife loves it.. go figure).

Regards