Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

New to dSLRs....

hello folks. My old dimage 7i had a bad ccd and was in turn bought back by sony. Now I'm set on getting a k100d after weeks of deciding whether the SR was worth the $120 price increase over the k110d. My friends helped me decide that it was. Now, I'm just not sure whether I should get the k100d with or without the kit lens. I have the lenses in my sig and I wanted to know whether the kit lens is worth the $50 it costs over a non kit k100d. I will most likely use the camera to shoot cars, local car meets, scenery, the family dog. The camera will pretty much do everything.

12-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
hello folks. My old dimage 7i had a bad ccd and was in turn bought back by sony. Now I'm set on getting a k100d after weeks of deciding whether the SR was worth the $120 price increase over the k110d. My friends helped me decide that it was. Now, I'm just not sure whether I should get the k100d with or without the kit lens. I have the lenses in my sig and I wanted to know whether the kit lens is worth the $50 it costs over a non kit k100d. I will most likely use the camera to shoot cars, local car meets, scenery, the family dog. The camera will pretty much do everything.
Welcome!

I think your friends gave you good advise... the SR is worth it.
As far as the kits lens goes, I think for an extra 50 dollars it is to good of a bargain to pass up. My wife has the kit lens, and it is more then adaquite for most of her photo needs.

cheers
12-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah, when I checked a few weeks ago, the k100 with the kit lense was around $90-$110 more than just the body. Now that it's only $61, I guess I can't go wrong. One more thing, do you guys think the k100 prices will go much lower since the k10 is coming out or is already out? Do camera prices usually go down around christmas?
12-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
yeah, when I checked a few weeks ago, the k100 with the kit lense was around $90-$110 more than just the body. Now that it's only $61, I guess I can't go wrong. One more thing, do you guys think the k100 prices will go much lower since the k10 is coming out or is already out? Do camera prices usually go down around christmas?
well, I am no expert....
I think that the k10 coming out won't put a pricing pressure on the k100 as they are for two different photographers..... k100 for the "cross over" market.... someone who wants a DSLR and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg.... and wants the operation to be as simple as possible.
The K10, in my opinion, is marketed to people who are more advanced in there photography needs, and want an alternative to the other manufactures cameras.
Both are relatively new to the market.... the price drops will likely be for the k110 and the "older" *istD models.
You might get a small break like my wife did on the k100....the body, the kits lens and they added 4x512MB memory cards for free.

cheers

12-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
k100 for the "cross over" market.... someone who wants a DSLR and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg.... and wants the operation to be as simple as possible.
yep, that's me ...
12-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the camera is here. I love beachcamera, shipping was soooooooper fast. Just so happens I have a poker night with the guys tonight so I might take some pics. I'm sure they'll be pretty bad, so don't get your hopes up.......