Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I'm anxious to get actual hockey (couple weeks). Without restating everything in other posts on the forum, I'll say this. It's all true. :-) Since I'm using strictly kit lenses and hockey moves pretty fast, it will be critical to anticipate the game and shoot at those moments between deceleration and acceleration, as they're about to switch direction, about to shoot, or shoot faster action closer to me for wider aperture etc... For my purposes as the proud dad, this should work fine.

ChallengedOne, if you're being hired to shoot hockey and the expectations are that you'll get "THE" shot not "SOME" shots, I suspect you'll need faster glass. The game moves even quicker at higher levels (I'm shooting mites and pee wees and you're talking college/juniors).

04-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #17
Forum Member

test shoot from stands row 7

Ok only game was an hour away in a venue with no contacts shot from the stands center ice row 7. Shooting across ice to avoid shooting through glass. Using Sigma EX 70-200mm F2.8 K10D ISO 1600 and F2.8 @1/350 sec. and variables there of setting was TAV...
Attached Images

04-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Challenged:

Nicely done and some nice action. I know its hard when things are moving fast, but try not to cut the refs arm off, they don't like that! It might be better to go a little wider and then crop afterwards (don't ever think that the photographer gets the great shots as much as the photo editor MAKES them great shots!).

Regards,
04-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Forum Member

Yeah it was not easy had I been closer IE not in the seats I may have been able to frame better. My camera movements were also limited due to the crowded seats. I didn't even pay attention to the ref but it would be a better image if his whole body was reacting to the deflected puck near his hip. Too bad.

I did attempt shooting at kit lens f stops 3.5-4.0 and had some success but not much probably 1-6 were decent. I don't think compared to the test shots you took hockey dad you will have too much difficulty.

04-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Challenged:
Thanks for posting those! We were on vacation last week and I didn't even see them until now. Thanks for experimenting with kit lens f-stops too... pretty limiting isn't it? If I stick with this, I'm quite certain I will shell out the cash for a lens like yours, but until then, I continue with my learning/review of what can be done with an out of the box K-r.

Update:
Ok, spring season got underway this week with both boys having a practice. I only have a couple weeks of DSLR experience under my belt so I know my framing leaves a lot to be desired. I won't even bother you with the 100 or so shots that don't even include kids faces! These 4 shots were all taken through the glass (although they cleaned it some in response to a parent survey). I shot them all at ISO 3200 with the kit 55-300mm and tried to stay at f/4 and 4.5 which gets me across the ice. They all came out a little underexposed looking so I cropped them and let PhotoShop auto correct the color.

They both have games Saturday and I definately got better between practice #1 and practice #2 so I'm anxious to see what I get from the games. At this point, I'm pretty confident that as the season progresses, I'll get some great shots of the kids. That's the luxury of being a parent that wants shots of their kids as opposed to a pro that has to capture the pertinent action. If I get 1 great shot for every 100 I shoot, that's success!

Oh yeah, and have I mentioned lately how much I love my K-r? Low light / fast action hockey aside, I'm having a ton of fun shooting everything else that catches my eye too!
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You look like you are doing a good job with it too!

Congrats and keep it up!
04-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool, the shots look good! Makes me want to go visit my nephew and take some hockey shots! Do you find that you need the 300mm? Or would a 70-200 f2.8 be a better setup being a faster lens? I have a manual focus 70-210 that I would probably just use with Catch in Focus, but I've been eyeing up a tamron or sigma 70-200 f2.8 macro for some time. I think getting down to f2.8 from f4.0-4.5 could do a lot for in those poorly lit arenas.

04-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Chex,

Actually, I am deliberately limiting myself from reaching out to 300mm because at that length the aperture is like f/5.6 which would either require I shoot at unrealistic ISOs or with a slow enough shutter speed to introduce too much blur. I definitely think a 70-200mm f/2.8 would be an excellent choice for hockey, and there's no shortage of reviews and advice that would agree with that... my issue was that the lens costs as much as my whole kit which was also my whole budget, so the choice for me was either buy a lens and wait until later to buy the body or buy the kit now and make the best of it. Remember, I chose to start this thread both to solicit advice from those that know much much more than me and to offer some real word newbie impressions and image examples for anyone else facing the same choice I was.

As for using your 70-210... I gotta believe catch in focus with hockey would take some pretty amazing insight into just where the action is about to happen. Sounds like a fun challenge! I'd love to see what you get, it could open up a whole new world of more affordable possibilities.
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, I picked up an older Tamron Adaptol SP 70-210mm f3.5 for $60, I use it with Catch In Focus which would work great for hockey.. 210mm @ f3.5 would be decent shutter speeds at 800-1600 ISO I would imagine.
04-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #25
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice combination of focal length, shutter speed and iso to catch the action.
04-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Yeah, I read the reviews after I bought it.. found out I paid less than 1/2 the going price, with the adaptol mount even included! Very happy with the lens!
04-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't be afraid to use the high ISO capability of your camera. This was shot with the kit 55-300 at ISO 5000 through the plexiglass:

04-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

looks good! Even if you used a bit of noise reduction in post production it wouldn't loose much detail.
04-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I shot close to 200 pictures during the two games we had Saturday and wound up with around 20 keepers. Lots of good action in the frames but nothing any better than what I have already posted. Another game Tuesday and I think I'm going to heed Gebco's advice. Instead of ISO 3200 I'm going to try some at 6400. I just played around with the demo version of Noise Ninja and it looks promising. Interestingly, our arena has 3 rinks and so far everything has been in the same one which is making my experimenting really productive. Thanks again everyone, both in this thread and others, all the advice has really been invaluable.
04-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
Forum Member

Looks great hockydad! Keep up the good work, also don't be surprised when Other parents start asking for shots.... That's how it start, new DSLR, just a few shots, taking certain photos, friends asking for shots, etc... But your doing great.