Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Greetings from Naples Fl.

Good day, this is my first post. I am a previous Nikon user(novice) and I was able to get for free my pick of a Pentax or Nikon camera. I would have had to have waited longer if I wanted to get the Nikon D7000,my so-called dream camera but instead opted to get the K7. I had the D70S before I got saltwater in it(never bring near the ocean even for that family pic). Ive been without a cam since last summer-ugh!

Anyway, I have been going back and forth between what camera to go with. I liked the features of both and even had three Nikon lenses( inexpensive versions) but decided to take a chance with the Pentax and build a small system.

I basically take pictures of my family, primarily of my 1 yr old boy and six yr old boy. I also takes pics of just about anything ie. nature, vacations and whatever appeals to me. I don't even have a lens yet and am allowing myself about a budget of about $250 to get started quickly and to procure a couple more soon as well.

Does anybody have any ideas for that FIRST lens?? Prime or 18-200 mm etc? I'm not so sure about the 18-55mm, pic quality is kinda important. Also, I'm willing to learn as I go.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. This seems like a nice place to be. Bill

03-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A warm welcome to the Forums.
To get to pick between those two, and for free, Wow!! Decisions, decisions.

Hope to see some of your shots in the not to distant future.
03-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Hi, Bill! We should meet up some time in Everglades City!

I'm more of a manual prime guy myself, but I have my eye on the new 18-135. A lot more than $250, though.
03-24-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's lots of good information about lenses here on the site which may help you decide.

03-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Like Ira I'm more of a manual prime guy (the $250 would have covered the cost of 9 of my lenses approximately). Like Ira said an 18-135 would be a lot more (but likely the one solution zoom i would choose)
at the same sort of range (with a bit of change left over) the new 35 f2.4 gives a nice AF prime compact and covers basically the normal focal length. If you are planning on collecting primes it would be a good place to start

don't discount the idea of the 18-55WR either. it's a much better lens than the average kit. I spent February getting to know mine on the k7 - you should be able to pick it up with enough change for a manual prime or 2

03-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome from another Floridian.

Even the 18-55mm ll isn't bad in the right hands.

03-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
wpg

Original Poster
Hi again, thanks for the welcome and for each of your responses. After much research and thinking I have ordered the 35mm f2.4 lens and can finally get to taking pictures. I wanted to be able to start with family close-ups, outdoor shots and learn how to use a prime. I will have to get up and running and also have to find a way to post a few pics here. This forum seems to be helpful and is nice to visit, people are very friendly here. Hope to be back soon.

03-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Bill. Welcome to the forum, and good luck with that new (and free?-lucky you!) camera. Don't forget to check the Marketplace for some lenses.