Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

An oldtimer

Used film slr's for many years but picked up a digital about ten years ago and have been letting all my old Spotmatics collect dust.Bought all three of my kids k outfits and have one myself but never used it much as I liked the old m42 better.Have got a lot of use out of a Panasonic fz which still works good but decided to try a dslr
preferably a Pentax as to use some of my old lens.Have already picked up a lot of good information from this site.
Jake

03-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forums. With the correct Pentax M42 adapter your classic lenses can have a new life. I've quite a few m42 lenses myself and the newer lenses just lack a certain quality that these give.

I hope you have alot of fun with whichever Pentax DSLR you choose.
03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Lexington. Digital is the way to go. Only print the ones worth printing. I hope to see more of you around here.
03-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
An oldtimer
Welcome to the forum, it's a good thing that photography is not governed by age, otherwise I would be in deep doo doo.

03-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome to the Forum. enjoy the switch to digital just get the m42 adaptor (i'd recommend a pentax original myself) and go shooting. it's great using the old lenses. one of my favourite lenses is the Super tak 55 f1.8 (though i just grabbed a tak 50 f1.4 that may well supplant it)
03-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't know if I will ever get around to using my m42's have have a lot more of them than the k's.All lens I have are prime,not a zoom in the bunch.Have got kind of spoiled and lazy to zoom from using a Panasonic fz for the last seven year.
Colbyt,
Is there a Pentax dealer around Lexington?
Jake
03-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Colbyt,
Is there a Pentax dealer around Lexington?
Jake

Murphy's Camera might be. Other than that long shot, I doubt there is one. I just peeked at their web site and they are not.

03-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Jake, welcome and enjoy the forum. I don't have a lot of old primes, but I sure like using the ones I have - I agree about the Pentax adapter.
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
May try getting an adapter later on but now need to get a camera ordered as it looks the nearest dealer is 150 miles away.Have handled the Nikon and Canon but wasn't impress with how they felt as compared to the old Pentax Spotmatics but from pictures they don't look much different.Guess I might as well order one tonight or tomorrow.Going to buy a two lens kit as I might get myself stuck with just the normal 18-55 da l.Have been looking for an outfit with the da lens but can't find any at least at a reasonable price.
Jake
03-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jake, I got the 18-135 lens for my K-5. It's got a bit of wide angle, and a fair bit of telephoto, and is WR (good in rainy Vancouver). Also, the autofocus works very well. The only other zoom I have is the 55-300, but it's the primes that are so great to have with the new DSLR. I got lucky, and got my adapter in a box of old lenses. I don't know about out there, but adapters pop up here on craigslist every so often.
03-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That 18-135 should be a most versatile lens.With that and a 2x in your pocket one should be able to go anyplace and shoot about anything.I would have liked to have bought just a body but they were about the same price that I paid for the
k-x and 18-55 and 55-200.Am very forgetful and have lens around that I can't find.Did find in k mount two 28's,35,two 50's,two 135's and a 2x.Have a 24mm in one of my son's outfits that I will get next time we visit and leave him one of the 28's.
Hope I don't end up with two outfits.Made order last night,got notice this morning that order had been canceled because of a mistake in credit card info.Called credit card company,gal told me where mistake was but had to go to another department to get it fixed,that department is off weekends.Made new order this morning with another card.
Jake
03-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you'll be totally set up by this time next week. Don't forget to post a few shots of your area - never been out there, but hear it's beautiful. My brother lives in Georgia, so should get out there sometime soon.
« Saludos | Hello! »