Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #1

Hi from the Turks and Caicos Islands

I,m an exiled Brit enjoying life with the family in the Caribbean. My first serious camera was a nice Minolta slr in the mid eighties. Unfortunately that became a victim of frustration and lack of patience waiting for prints to be developed and then finding them very different to how I'd imagined them!
I took to digital point and shoots in the late nineties and enjoyed the immediate results and handiness.
This year I had a hankering to move up to a more elaborate P and S but ended up buying a Pentax K20D. Why you might ask? Well, it was the only DSLR on sale in our island electronics store and was at a very favourable price as it was a superceded model!!
So there I was with, as I found out, a very capable but very complicated DSLR and trying to figure out the maze of menu choices etc. I resolved from the get go though not to use auto settings and try to learn the processes.

The result is that I'm now hooked and especially enjoy portrait photography with my wife and two girls. One day I might even pluck up the courage to post one or two of the better ones.

I apologise in advance for any and all daft questions I might therefore be asking in the future.

Peter

03-24-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(mmmm..caribbean...envyyy...it's hellish cold here for me, of course some people live just fine.)

Welcome! and yep post your fotos
Oh, and don't worry about questions, people are pacient and nice here. (you gotta show us some landscapes and sunsets i'm sure it must be beautifull).
03-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going from a P/S to an SLR and enjoying taking portraits of family was a journey I also took not long ago. If you only have the kit lens, then some day you may want to check out these portrait lenses:

--DA 70mm f2.4 limited if you dont mind moving your feet instead of zooming in.

--If you prefer a zoom and want something that can catch some 'action' portrait shots too and dont mind carrying a long lens: DA* 50-135 f2.8 lens

--If you prefer a little more general purpose zoom lens: tamron 28-75 f2.8 lens

And welcome to the forum.
03-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Coeurdechene! It's funny but my two teenage girls would kill for the bright lights [ and shopping] of Madrid. Plus you get to see Ronaldo live..should you wish!
Thanks for the welcome.

03-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks psychdoc!
It would seem that, already I'm showing early signs of LBA! Yes, I have been looking for alternatives to the 18-55 kit lens but, fortunately for my bank balance at least, I can only really buy stuff on the odd foray to Miami and as that won't be until at least July I will continue to learn and improve with this lens.
Thanks for the welcome.
03-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your K20D, and we look forward to seeing what beauty lies unseen from your place of residence.
I too think you would benefit from a good prime lens like an FA 50/1.4 or DA 70/2.4 if you love portraiture. They will improve your results noticeably, but don't let me (or anyone else) here be the reason for your growing LBA! It's going to get a hold of you no matter what.