Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from PEI Canada

Just switched over to digital and love it. I purchased a K10d and am having fun learning the ropes. I will get into processing software later but for now am going to try to learn how to use the camera in each of it's modes.

I am finding the menus very user friendly and really like the feel and weight of the camera. Had a chance to buy a k200 but opted for the K10d due to the weather seals ( hope it was the right choice ) No I have to start collecting lenses and other accessories. I figure I'll end up upgrading to a K-5 or K-7 eventually but I really liked the price I got the K10d for. It is allowing me to look at lens purchases more carefully.

I already learned a lot about flashes here so this has been a good site so far.

Looking forward to getting some good pictures from my sailboat this summer!

03-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey sawicksted....welcome aboard. Always nice to see another new Canadian on the forum. The k10d is a great camera so I'm sure you'll be very happy. Looking forward to seeing some pics from PEI.
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome!
03-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here.
The K10D is a fine ol' camera that does a great job at ISOs 100-400.
Just to be clear - the K200D is also weather sealed, but doesn't have some of the advanced functions the K10D has.
Nevertheless, I'm sure the choice for a K10D is a good one.
Later on if you consider upgrading, the K-5 is your next logical step.

04-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, I really liked the Feel of the K10D so... Also I like a challenge so figuring out the extra features is fun and forces me to learn. Now I'll have to save up for some decent lenses as I assume the kit lens is only fair.
04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks,

Just starting to figure out how this site works. Gotta get on the avitar thing next.
04-15-2011, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Scott,
you'll like the K10, on the east coast it should be great for landscapes etc. not a low light monster but i've gotten by with mine until i went to the k7

The Kit is serviceable on the K10, but there are a couple of variants and they do vary on performance.
Best budget way to move up on quality is look at some of the old lenses. Manual focus, Manual exposure but excellent quality.
04-15-2011, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome southerner. But I advise against the K5. Mine came smeared with a virus called "LBA" which is very difficult to cure even though I felt I had resistance built up with the K20. I'm working on it. But the boxes that lenses come in are small and cute so my wife doesn't realize that our retirement is in jeopardy. Lately, I've been helping other forum members by taking old lenses off their hands so they can have slots to fill in their sling bags. You should try doing the same. Seriously, there are great deals from great members on the site.

04-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #9

Original Poster
Like the southerner slam...lol.... LBA - Yeah that could be a problem as I generaly feel the draw to purchasing and collecting things I get interested in too. Due to the fact that I live on an Island - I tend to feel like I live at the ends of the earth somedays!! Not so much after seeing where you are.

My grandfather gave the first SLR camera I ever had - A Pentax ME, and it served me well. I figure this K10d is a good beginner's step as I'm sure the the K-5 / K-7 have more features than MIT GRAD can handle! Down the road - a K20d or K-5 might be nice.
04-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, we're on an island too. We call Baffin Island the mainland. Only the polar bears have guaranteed all year access.
04-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome!
Lived in PEI for a summer(loved it!)
Looking forward to some pics!
04-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
Yeah, I thought you were on Baffin Island. That would be an interesting place to live. We don't have anything other than bunny rabbits ( the odd coyote) raccons and skunks. So we can wander at will in the woods and not worry too much. Little different where you are. They even built us a bridge a few years ago... LOL.. I'll have to try to get some nice photos this summer. Is there a thread / album for where you live pics on this site?
04-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks JohnBee. I'll try to make a PEI album for people to see in my profile.
04-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Vancouver Scott, and welcome to the forum. I have to report that living on an island is not a prerequisite to catching LBA. On the plus side, the Marketplace often has lots of older (and cheaper) lenses listed.
04-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hey Arn,

Thanks. Yeah, I gotta save up a bit again before I feed the LBA monster. I have heard / read a lot about the new Tamron lenses that are out there. I'm looking at investing in one of them.