Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Hello from Maryland!

Hi all! Like many others I am a newbie to the world of DSLRs and came from a cannon superzoom. I purchased a K-X with the 18-55 kit lens back around black friday. I think I am ready to "upgrade" the kit lens at this point. I would like something faster with a little more reach.

Most of my picture taking is of my 19 month old son. I am thinking that i'd like a faster lens that I can use to take available light shots with of him.

I find most of the shots I take are from 30mm-40mm on my current lens. However, I think that may be in large part because that is where I percieve the lens to be performing the best.

As i've been perusing the various lens and options in the lens database I came across the Tamron Macro SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD. Would that lens be a good choice for taking indoor shots w/o a flash? Also, it seems that that lens has had a hike in its price? At this point where should I be looking to find that type of performance without breaking the bank?

Thanks for any input you guys have!

-Kevin

03-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey, Kevin, it's good to welcome another another MD Pentaxian!

That Tamron is a nice lens: I've got one and use it a lot. I'm like you in that I like to take indoor photos and don't like flash. The Tamron should do reasonably well on a K-x but the more light--and the more consistent the light (that is, not mixed)--you can get on your subjects, the better.
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input Dave. I live near Baltimore by the way.
Yeah, I've found in the past few months that the lighting seems to be really crucial. I just hate the harshness of the flash.

I have a question that just popped into my head regarding the camera. In the menus there are options for shadow compensation and highlight compensation. What exactly do those do and are they recommended?
03-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sun_shard Quote
Thanks for the input Dave. I live near Baltimore by the way.
Yeah, I've found in the past few months that the lighting seems to be really crucial. I just hate the harshness of the flash.

I have a question that just popped into my head regarding the camera. In the menus there are options for shadow compensation and highlight compensation. What exactly do those do and are they recommended?
Flash can be done well, of course, but it's not easy. I also find it terribly intrusive and not conducive to the candid shots I tend to favor.

Now, I'm serious about the disclaimer in my signature so I can't give a really authoritative answer to your question but I think those options give you some control over losing detail either in inpenetrable shadow or blown-out highlights.

Personally, I've dialed in a modest level of highlight protection. In general, I'm less concerned about shadows than blowing highlights--in part because I try to follow the expert advice to err on the side of over- rather than under- exposing.

Try searching for more detailed information on the subject.

BTW, you might want to join the National Capitol Area Group: we get together from time to time to shoot and share information, techniques and even lenses. It's a very nice bunch.

Regards,
Dave