Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #1

Hello!

Hi, I'd like to introduce myself..I'm Suzy and I was browsing your site. A friend was asking me today, if she's doing portraits - what kind of digital camera to buy? While I was cruising the site, I noticed a thread on a nice lens that I have, but have never used. There was no information on it. Similar information...but never a match. It is an SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 28mm 5148874...has anyone ever heard of this? Anyway, Lynn asked me to ask camera experts - so, I'll be interested in your answers about the best digital camera (professional quality?). Thank you.
Warmly,
Suzy

03-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll probably be interested in Pentax's top DSLR, the K-5: Pentax K-5 Review | PentaxForums.com

It's IQ is actually best-in-class for APS-C sensors!

A great portrait lens would be the FA77mm. Feel free to browse other entries in the lens database for more info on other lenses. The A 28mm is a manual-focus, auto-metering wide-angle lens, and is currently not in production. It's full compatible with the K-5, however.

Just so you know, you'll probably get better answers to specific questions within the discussion forums.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome Suzy. One of the main reasons I kept coming back to the forum was for all of the information on lenses, and the one to which you refer is at
SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
I could also go on about how much I like my K-5!
03-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Suzy and welcome.

The A version of the SMC Pentax 28mm f2.8 is comparatively common - it has a rarer A-series cousin, the 28mm f2, which is valued accordingly. See this forum link for user reviews on the f2.8 version that you have SMC Pentax-A 28mm F2.8 Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database.

Adam's advice on camera and portrait lens is good advice - I have both. The K-5 is a step up from previous top Pentax models, and beats much of the direct competition from other makers (in my view) by a fair margin. The FA-77 is acknowledged by more than just Pentax body-owners as being one of the best in its class, performance-wise, and is the smallest and lightest to boot! Its maximum aperture is very good for low light work and for throwing the background out of focus in portraiture, and the resultant out-of-focus ("bokeh") areas are also acknowledged to be among the more pleasing renditions, which is important for portraits.