Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
moving from m43 to Pentax System.

Hello,

The only Pentax equipment i own is the SMC-M 50 f1.4. I was using this as a portrait lens on my Lumix GF1. I'm currently in the process of selling all my m43 equipment and jumping ship to the Pentax system.

I'm not sure when I'll have all the funds to buy into the system, but figure i say hello and get familiar with this community.

I mostly shoot candid shots of friends and family. My favorite lens on the m43 system was the 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent on 35mm). I found it just a tad long for indoor so i think i've decided that my first lens will be the SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited. I think the 32mm (35 equivalent) will be just right for my needs.

As far as the body ... It's between the K7 and Kr.

Well, I'll be lurking for now, but can't wait to contribute once i acquire my new Pentax gear.

03-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! I hope you'll find the forum helpful in getting the right gear!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Ead:

Go for the K7 or K5. If you have been shooting film you will find it so much more like your film camera with the 2 separate controls for f stop and Shutter speed.

I hope you find the funds soon!

Regards,
03-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eadrian75 Quote
Hello,

The only Pentax equipment i own is the SMC-M 50 f1.4. I was using this as a portrait lens on my Lumix GF1. I'm currently in the process of selling all my m43 equipment and jumping ship to the Pentax system.

I'm not sure when I'll have all the funds to buy into the system, but figure i say hello and get familiar with this community.

I mostly shoot candid shots of friends and family. My favorite lens on the m43 system was the 20mm f1.7 (40mm equivalent on 35mm). I found it just a tad long for indoor so i think i've decided that my first lens will be the SMC-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited. I think the 32mm (35 equivalent) will be just right for my needs.

As far as the body ... It's between the K7 and Kr.

Well, I'll be lurking for now, but can't wait to contribute once i acquire my new Pentax gear.
Welcome to the group - I just added M43 to my kit (GH2) and am very familiar with the 20 F1.7. The DA21 will be a touch wider, slower obviously, but with very good IQ. I haven't taken many candids with my copy, but it is very capable, with some of the very same 3d effect you get with the 20 F1.7 when the subject is a couple of paces away.

Regarding the K7 or K-r, they both will perform better in ambient light that your GF1, but remember that the DA21 is a over a stop slower than the 20 F1.7. The K-r provides more high ISO headroom, while the K-7 will provide more direct controls. Both are fine cameras and you should be pleased.

Best of luck!

03-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks johnmflores for those 21mm samples. The lens will mostly be used for family shots and most of the samples i've seen on flickr, etc. are of landscapes. Great shots by the way. I am afraid the 21 will be just a tad too wide and tad too slow for indoors and for being my first limited so i'm seriously considering starting out with the 35 macro limited. It was a joy using the lumix 20mm (40mm equivalent) as my normal lens and i think the 35 limited can replace that style of shooting, though a little longer than what i am used to.

By the way. I placed an order for a new K7 kit with 18-55. Came across a great deal i couldn't pass up. Plus as mentioned, it allows me the joy of immediately adding a great prime.

Anyone use the 35mm macro limited for family, mostly indoor, shots? Thoughts?

Thanks again for dropping your 2cents.