Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Hello Everyone - DSLR Newbie in West Michigan

Hello,

I'm hoping to join the DSLR world soon, though I've been looking to buy for a couple years now...finally have the money. My previous cameras were a Fuji point and shoot (still in use) and a Canon S2 IS (E18 Lens Error = Dead). My dad has had a Pentax film SLR for about 10 years now.

For me, new is still not affordable, and I don't want to pay a fortune for each lens I want to use. I also am not so keen on AA's after my days with the S2 and carrying at least 8 at all times. So, I think the K10D will be a good fit for me. I actually have my eye on a nice body on eBay right now.

A couple quick gear questions I have:

How much should I bid on a DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL lens?
(The seller of the body has one starting at just $35 shipped right now.)

For a zoom lens, what is the better bang for your buck - DA 50-200mm vs. DA 55-300?

I only have a basic knowledge of manual settings, but I'm eager to learn more ...and with any luck create a few great shots along the way. Thanks for hosting a great site. It looks like the answers are here for just about any Pentax question I'll ever have.

-Ryan

03-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you on board. Please enjoy your stay with us.
03-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome. I would lean toward the 55-300, but I like long lenses.
Just like the extra reach for wildlife. Without knowing what you
like to shoot it's harder for us to make any recommendations
tho. Give us more info. People here are very generous in sharing
their knowledge.
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
Welcome. I would lean toward the 55-300, but I like long lenses.
Just like the extra reach for wildlife. Without knowing what you
like to shoot it's harder for us to make any recommendations
tho. Give us more info. People here are very generous in sharing
their knowledge.
Thanks!

Is the 55-300 pretty good across the full range? With my architecture background, I do like to travel a bit and shoot buildings and city shots. Sometimes that needs zoom, but other times wide-angle. I would like a somewhat flexible lens so that I don't have to carry a whole arsenal.

I do also like cars, and like to go to outdoor shows in the summer and one of the indoor auto shows in the winter. Other than those things, we do have plenty of beautiful scenery here near Lake Michigan.

Here's some of the last shots from my S2 before it died, on a study-abroad trip to Italy. Italy - a set on Flickr That's a bit of the stuff I like to capture when traveling.

03-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Your lens desires. You can start with the 18-55 ($50 absolute tops total for the one you listed) if you want but instead I would save a few more $$ and get the DA 16-45 instead. That is, if you have your mind set on a zoom. You can look it up in the lens database. On the longer end, you definitely want to go to 300mm. I cannot advise on the 55-300 other than to say most here with them, love them.

You will probably find your K10d with the 18-55 ($300 or so total) so that will get you started.

To properly advise though it might be helpful to know your actual budget (upper limit).

Good luck..

03-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, and welcome, Ryan. I like the 55-300, but I am a little biased as I have one. It is versatile, and although more expensive lenses are quicker and sharper, it is good value for the money. I also have the 18-135, which is a great all purpose zoom, and you might be able to pick one of these up for a reasonable price.
03-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Welcome aboard!

Your lens desires. You can start with the 18-55 ($50 absolute tops total for the one you listed) if you want but instead I would save a few more $$ and get the DA 16-45 instead. That is, if you have your mind set on a zoom. You can look it up in the lens database. On the longer end, you definitely want to go to 300mm. I cannot advise on the 55-300 other than to say most here with them, love them.

You will probably find your K10d with the 18-55 ($300 or so total) so that will get you started.

To properly advise though it might be helpful to know your actual budget (upper limit).

Good luck..

Thanks! I guess some of my lens selection will depend on whether I end up with a kit or just a body. I'd like to spend up to about $600 right now...hopefully getting 2 lenses and a body (looking for under 10,000 actuations). It looks like I'll probably be limited to the kit 18-55 and one other for my budget. If so, I'll have to keep the DA 16-45 in mind for an upgrade later on.

As for cameras, is a K10D with 18-55 kit lens and Quantaray bag with only 1700 actuations worth $450?

Where in Michigan are you from?

QuoteOriginally posted by Arn Quote
Hi, and welcome, Ryan. I like the 55-300, but I am a little biased as I have one. It is versatile, and although more expensive lenses are quicker and sharper, it is good value for the money. I also have the 18-135, which is a great all purpose zoom, and you might be able to pick one of these up for a reasonable price.
Thanks! That 18-135 looks intriguing and might be perfect for my city shooting if I go by bike and can't carry an extra lens.
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by killerunner1705 Quote
Thanks! I guess some of my lens selection will depend on whether I end up with a kit or just a body. I'd like to spend up to about $600 right now...hopefully getting 2 lenses and a body (looking for under 10,000 actuations). It looks like I'll probably be limited to the kit 18-55 and one other for my budget. If so, I'll have to keep the DA 16-45 in mind for an upgrade later on.

As for cameras, is a K10D with 18-55 kit lens and Quantaray bag with only 1700 actuations worth $450?

Where in Michigan are you from?
Near Detroit.

I see you've found the marketplace. Word to the wise. Do NOT send Paypal money as a Gift to anyone you do not know or cannot easily put your hands on. Doing so negates all buyer protection (because selling items that way is against ebay, paypal, And forum policy).

If you van verify the 1700 actuations (which can be verified), it would depend on the actual lens. $450 actually sounds a little high to me. If the 18-55 is a second generation AL II lens, then maybe it's worth that price. If it is a WR (weather resistant), then definitely. If it is the first generation 18-55 that originally came with the K10d, then no. While it does the job of putting light on the sensor, it isn't very sharp at any range unless stopped way down. That was My experience anyway. That's why I said $50 tops for one. Bodies are going for about $325 or so on ebay it seems right now and that's the basic price guide we use. At $450 you're getting close to a used K20d body. Exact same form but far enough above the K10d that it's worth considering the extra few $$.

In My opinion, for what you've stated you want to do, you want to concentrate on the wider zoom. You can get manual longer zooms for pennies on the dollar and you won't use them nearly as much. Unless you are looking to see across Lake Michigan with a lens, you need not invest a lot right now in a long lens.

03-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #9

Hi Ryan, I am new also. Looked at your shots in Italy and love them.

Snapper
03-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, I bit the bullet...this is on it's way to my house:

It wasn't a steal, but it came with a few nice accessories: Battery Grip, Hand Strap, 2nd battery, 8GB Memory Card. The shutter count was listed at 10,089.
03-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Congrats! I haven't been to Western Michigan in a number of years. Looking forward to being reminded of what it looks like. Welcome to the Other side that is the Pentax family.