Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Beginner from Panama

Before introducing myself, I would like to thank you guys for having this great community. I would also like to tank Adam for the great and prompt help he provided, when I had a problem with the registration process.

My name is Elias and I'm from Panama.

I recently bought a Pentax K-x, and I hope that it'll help me learn the basics off DSLR photography. I'm currently reading the posts in the Beginner forum, but I would appreciate any tips and ideas on where to get started.

I would also like to have contact with other forum members from Panama, and if possible share tips on where to get equipment (do you import all your stuff?) and how to mantain it in Panama's wheater.

Thank you.

03-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Elias.
Hope you enjoy the forum.
Ask your question in the Beginners Q&A corner, and be more specific about what gear you're after for shooting what subjects under what conditions (although being Panama, you'd be more inclined on the weather-sealed variety of equipment, such as the K20D/K-7/K-5 with DA* lenses).
03-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums Elias, may you continue to find them interesting enough to remain for a while.
In what part of República de Panamá do you reside? I suspect you may have many beautiful plants and birds to photograph.</SPAN>
03-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome Elias. I agree that this forum is great. A tip? - read your manual, take some pics, then read it again! I was amazed at how much more I understood the second time.

03-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome! Best place to get started is two places- shooting and reading. Takes lots of photos and read lots of photography books, and you'll be on your way. I'd recommend anything by Bryan Peterson (His "Understanding __________" series is quite good), and later on books on composition and the like.

My random tip would be to learn to use your spot meter early! It will save you trouble with good exposure in the long run.
03-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Bienvenido, Elias! Soy de El Salvador pero resido en San Diego, CA, USA. Acabo de comprarme una Kr y la estoy disfrutando mucho. Todos los dias salgo a tomar fotos por media hora y poco a poco estoy aprendiendo. El Manual no me ha servido de mucho pero alli voy. Si vas a El Salvador me avisas pues tengo mucha familia alli! Disfruta del Forum y hasta pronto!
04-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
In what part of República de Panamá do you reside? I suspect you may have many beautiful plants and birds to photograph.
I live in Panama City, and you're right about the plants and birds. It's very easy to spot animals and birds that have adapted to live in urban areas.

04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Hi and welcome! Best place to get started is two places- shooting and reading. Takes lots of photos and read lots of photography books, and you'll be on your way. I'd recommend anything by Bryan Peterson (His "Understanding __________" series is quite good), and later on books on composition and the like.

My random tip would be to learn to use your spot meter early! It will save you trouble with good exposure in the long run.
Thank you wshi! I already have Peterson's books on my radar, and I'll check the manual to learn about the spot meter.