Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi! My old Pentax, Africa and Safaris

Hi to all!

I want to introduce my self as new forum member. My name is Victor de la Torre Sans, I am Spanish and I live in Kenya since 2007 and in Africa since 1999.

I started using a second hand Pentax Spotmatic in 1991 that I bought at a famous shop in Belgium called Champion. I took lost of slides in Tanzania in 1999-2002 but i need to digitalise them.

It was great for my amateur use until it started to failed around 2002. The I bought a new one but it lasted a few months only because it got stolen in Spain. At that time I moved to Congo were processing slides was not done so I dropped using my Pentax all together. I used a Sony Cybershot compact but I was fascinated by how easy and quick it all was and being able to visualise and share via email.

Meanwhile for no less than seven years I left unattended a nice bag with the old Pentax and its 49mm, a 200 mm, 500mm, macro all Takumar and 135 mm Makinon, and a 28 mm Helios. Fungus took over and during temporary enchantment with digital storage. The other day I looked at my old photos stored in a box and I realized how much better there are than my digital ones. I did not bought a reflex but a compact and I abused automatic shooting for its simplicity. What an error, I did lots of mediocre photos and I have been under-utilizing the camera, a FujifilmPix S1000.

When a new friend, film director and director of photography, saw my lenses he told me there were still ok, except the 49mm and 28 mm and he cleaned the others. Then he told me a relatively 'cheap' Pansonic Lumix had made new reflex body will fit them and I bought it immediately. It got to my home last 25 March 2011 and I am ready to start using it and recuperate my old M42 screw lenses. I just realized I need an adapter ring ... if anybody read this and knows which one is the bets please let me know. I also imagine there are some good Pentax DMC out there that I should consider so suggestions are most welcomed.

I hope to expand my equipment buying second hand lenses and accessories and to make use of the amazing scenery I live in to take fine images, while making good portraits of my young family.

I am working in development in Africa but my wife is Kenyan and my kids East African. I am solid safari organizer too and I love to give good advice and to share my knowledge in any field.

I will be posting questions, and images too. Hopefully using my new G1 with the old lenses and as somebody has suggested a K10D quite affordable. The lesson for em has been that once you are used to Pentax and reflex photography new gadgets will distract you but finally it is the human factor that makes the photo great and is the personal touch that creates a unique ownership of the image that programmed cameras can't give. And good old lenses are the best!

Cheers,

victor

Last edited by victorts; 03-29-2011 at 12:53 AM.
03-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Victor, glad to have you with us.
03-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There indeed is an inexpensive Panasonic reflex camera (the L10) that could use the lenses with an adaptor, but It's not the best option. Having a Pentax K line digital camera would be better - you get the shake reduction and also IMO better image quality for higher ISO.
Perhaps best looking for a K-x or similar. I can't help you choosing the proper 4/3 to m42 adaptor, sorry.
03-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
There indeed is an inexpensive Panasonic reflex camera (the L10) that could use the lenses with an adaptor, but It's not the best option. Having a Pentax K line digital camera would be better - you get the shake reduction and also IMO better image quality for higher ISO.
Perhaps best looking for a K-x or similar. I can't help you choosing the proper 4/3 to m42 adaptor, sorry.

Thanks for the advice. The Lumix I bought cost me new only 390 USD in a Spanish online shop with the 14-54 mm lens included and VAT on it (I think it is a true bargain!) but definitely it is an entry door into reflex and I will consider your suggestion as soon as I have money again.

For the time being I think I will try to buy an old Pentax Asaih Spotmatic like the one I had with the Takumar 49mm lens. It is a historic model and I may get it cheap. The one of the avatar is my old one but ti doesn't work anymore after 30 years of service or so.

cheers

Last edited by victorts; 03-28-2011 at 04:52 AM.
03-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Victor.
Nice story you shared as an intro.
Interesting background photographically, and socially.
I feel for your losses, knowing that it's such a common occurrence all over Africa.
Things have been stolen from right under my nose there, and as with you, on more than one occasion. Nevertheless, it's good to hear you still use your classic Pentax lenses, but you really need a Pentax dSLR body to go with them.
The excellent *ist D or K100D Super (worth around $200 nowadays) and K10D (worth about $300 today) are fantastic choices to get the most out of your lenses.

Anyway I too married a Kenyan, but I managed to twist her arm into moving to Australia.
Only I'm shooting with auto-focus lenses.
Enjoy the forum and all the best with your search for better use of your fine Pentax glassware.
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #6

Wow, yours is quite a story! Welcome from Hungary.
03-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome, Victor. We'll look forward to some Africa photos.

03-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victorts Quote
For the time being I think I will try to buy an old Pentax Asaih Spotmatic like the one I had with the Takumar 49mm lens. It is a historic model and I may get it cheap. The one of the avatar is my old one but ti doesn't work anymore after 30 years of service or so.
Do not restrict yourself to spotmatics, actually any m42 camera will do well and a k-mount film camera with simple K-mount adaptor even better, as it can potentially use k-mount lenses. Spotmatics are valued by collectors, but other cameras like for example Praktica MTL5 will give you the same reliability for less money.
03-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
thanks for the warm welcomed and already very useful suggestions. I feel quite happy to have found you guys!

victor