Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Hello from Canada

Hello Everyone, I am a longtime amateur Pentax owner/user who is about to switch from film to digital format, and am looking to learn about it. I hope to use some M42 takumars I have on a K7 body. I've been researching serial numbers on 50mm 1.4 lenses, trying to determine at what point the lenses transition from 8 element to seven. I am also looking for some missing parts for my auto bellows and will post details in the marketplace. It has been my feeling for years that Pentax equipment was under appreciated by the "pro crowd". How interesting that in today's market, the old thread mount takumars are sought after and one reads about "smooth and silky action", "precise focusing", all metal construction! Never imagined we'd get to that!

04-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
rhe
Closed Account

Welcome I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

What part of Canada?

I am a former Nikomat owner/user and am very glad that I switched to digital and to Pentax!
04-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I just ordered my M42 adapter and a couple Russian lenses to go with it last week. I'm looking forward to playing with them.
04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Takboy, and welcome to the forum. I also have a few old Takumar lenses, and love using them. Re the 50/1.4, I have one of the 1964 8-element copies - love it! The best info on what to look for is here on the forum Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early 8-Element Variant) Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Just to show you, attached is a shot of my lens, and you can see the IR mark to the right of the lefthand 4. All of the lenses with 7 elements have the IR mark on the left of the 4. Hope this helps.

Attached Images

04-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello and thanks for the welcomes! I'll try to answer all in one post. Lloyd, I live in Toronto. Arnie, I own two 8 element 50mm 1.4 lenses with the feature you describe.They lack the thoriated glass (radioactive) found in the later 7 element models. Right now I'm researching my 55mm f2 to try to determine if it is radioactive. One was just posted on Youtube last month showing a radiation reading between 600 to 1K counts per minute. I think this translates into 3.5 milliseverts per hour to about 5 milliseverts per hour. The standard for one year's exposure for nuclear workers is only 20 milliseverts. Hmmmm. This is a big subject.

So far I have the K to M42 adapter and the SDHC memory cards, but no K7 yet! I learned that I'm going to have to "chimp" the exposures with these M42 lenses, coz I can't use my trusty Gossen Lunasix anymore!
04-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Two? Lucky you. I know what you mean about the "smooth and silky", those old Taks are a pleasure to focus.
04-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

why can't you use the trusty Lunasix? has it died? I use my Spot attachment on my Minolta and the incident meter as well (admittedly usually when i'm shooting film. to easy to chimp and adjust with digital to be bothered with it most of the time)

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing some shots once you are up and running
none of my taks are the radioactive ones (i thought the easiest identification was the yellowing) my 50 1.4 is an early 8 element version. the 55 1.8 a later smc super tak variant

lots of us in Toronto

04-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

why can't you use the trusty Lunasix? has it died? I use my Spot attachment on my Minolta and the incident meter as well (admittedly usually when i'm shooting film. to easy to chimp and adjust with digital to be bothered with it most of the time)

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing some shots once you are up and running
RADIOACTIVE -i thought the easiest identification was the yellowing) my 50 1.4 is an early 8 element version. the 55 1.8 a later smc super tak variant

lots of us in Toronto
04-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hello Eddie, thanks for the welcome. I am planning to test my Lunasix 3 because it may need calibration. It has served me well in the past, and I would be delighted if I can continue using it.
Is it reasonable to consider ISO values as equivalent to the old ASA film speed units? Regarding radiation, I believe the discolouring (amber or yellow shade) is usually attributed to the cement used to bind the elements into groups. It appears that the radiation promotes the colour change in the cement. I have read that the 35mm F2 Super Tak is radioactive. I happen to own one, and wondered why the case it's in has dried out and cracked so badly! It was stored in exactly the same location as other cased lenses which have not been affected. This may be a total coincidence.