Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #1

Hello from Vancouver Island, Canada

Hello, I have been reading this forum for a while and thought I had better introduce myself.
I have been a photo hobbiest since the early '80's starting with Minolta film cameras, then moving about 5 years ago to the K10d.
Now I am going to get a K5 to shoot my daughters upcoming wedding in September.
So I am wondering if I should get the camera now, or wait until July when maybe the price drops, if it drops at all?

Paul.

04-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed the
time I spent on your island. Drove from Victoria to Port Hardy and back
I say go for the K5 now. Price may not drop due to the conditions in Japan and the high demand. This would also give you extra time to get to know your new camera
04-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Paul. Nice to see a fellow Islander on the forum. It's hard to know what is going to happen with the price of the K5. There is a thread here indicating the price has gone up, but September is a ways away so I would think it would drop a bit.

Steve
04-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Forum Member

Hey Paul.... Welcome to the Forum ! waiting will likely save you some cash BUT be sure to get that K5 in your hands & be confident with it before the wedding.
I shot my daughter`s wedding a few years ago & found it quite hectic to be on both sides of the lens..... I would advise getting someone to "fill in " for you when those special shots require you in the frame.... be sure they know your camera `cuz weddings don`t give you that second chance!!
Best of luck with the K5... but keep the K10 handy for backup.

04-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome, Paul. I'd go ahead and get it now, because it is so much fun to use. I haven't closely checked prices since I got mine. I bought locally when there was a $100 price saving, but you can also go through the forum link to B&H for a good price.
04-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forgot to add that you may be interested in this thread on K-5 prices in Canada.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/117018-price-k5-canada.html
04-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
So I went ahead and purchased a K5 and a da 35mm lens, ordered tonight from 123easyship or something like that.
I was photographing the Snowbirds, the Canadian flight formation team here in Comox, and my 19 year old daughter was helping. She is the one who gets my K10 and some lenses to go with it.
Now watching the mail box is going to be my new hobby.

Paul.

04-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome and congratulations on the purchase and the wedding! Yes, find someone to take the pictures where you must be in or you will end up like me at the last birthday party! I am only in one picture!!!!!