Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F

Hello, I am Victoria. I am here to learn some stuff about my camera. I got it a few years back, and now I am in college and in Photography classes. I have A HoneyWell Pentax Spotmatic F, it was passed down to me from my grandfather.

Type: 35mm Single-lens reflex with built-in through-the-lens light meter.

Film And Picture Size: 35mm Film. 24mm x 36mm.

Standard Lens: SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 or 55mm f/1.8 with fully automatic diaphragm.
Filters and lenshood size: 49mm.
Distance Scale: 0.45 (1.5 feet) to infinity.

Shutter: Focal Plane Shutter. Speeds B, 1-1/1000 sec.
Film speed (ASA) Setting dial and window on shutter speed dial.
Built-in self-timer releases shutter in 6-12 seconds.
Shutter button lock provided.

Finder: Pentaprism finder with microprism Fresnel lens for instant focusing; 0.89x magnification with 50mm lens and life size with 55mm lens.
-1.0 dioptry. 93% viewfinder coverage.

I have 3 Different lens for this camera,
1. SMC takumar 1:1.8/55
2. Minolta, Auto Yashinon zoom 1:5.8 f= 90mm - 190mm Yashica Japan No. 701194
3. Quantaray, 1:2.8 f=28mm MC, No. 890602

04-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello and welcome Victoria!

I have Spotmatic F too. The Honeywell brand sold in US, is exactly same model as the Asahi brand sold Worldwide except in US. A pdf of the manual is here: Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manual, camera manual

What kind of film do you use? Do you develop?
04-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Victoria! Welcome to the Forum. If you found US you'll probably be confortable learning about your camera on the internet. I'm adding several links you might find helpful.

Your camera is one of the most advanced of the M42, or screw-mount Pentax bodies. The screwmount was preplaced by a bayonet mount (K-mount) around 1975, but at first most of the lenses were identical to the M42 lenses.

Asking questions here is an excellent way to learn - people are usually very generous with their responses. I don't have a Spotmatic F right now, but I did in the past. I do own the SMC Takumar 55/12.8 that you own - great lens!! It was the kit lens sold with the Sptomatic F. Your grandfather probably bought that lens with the camera and the other two afterward.

Pentax Forums Reviews
Spotmatic F Camera Review
SMC Takumar 55/1.8 Review (several versions of the FL reviewed)

Other Stuff
Spotmatic F Features and Spec's compared to other Pentax cameras
Spotmatic F Manual The password is "Pentax"
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The first Spotmatic was introduced to the public at the 1960 Photokina and became available for purchase in late 1964. It was one of the first SLRs to offer a through-the-lens (TTL) exposure metering system. The Spotmatic F is a refinement of the original.

If you need a new battery, you can get a replacement 1.35V from WeinCell Batteries. The original battery was a, now banned, mercury cell. Also, check the seals common to the mirror to see if they are gummy. Cameras of this vintage often need some seals replaced. You should take it for a spin and see if everything is working and you're getting good exposure prior to actually needing it for class if you haven't already.

Last edited by tuco; 04-11-2011 at 12:28 PM.
04-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much, all of the links you have provided for me are very helpful. thanks so much for all of this useful information. And im not sure what film i use, I havent been able to use it yet. its getting looked at this week just to make sure everything is working properly. May i ask what you guys think, what type of film would be best to use. Dont know to much about film cameras, only digital. But I cant wait to start learning. thanks again everyone!
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Color or BW film? If a nearby photography store is comprehensive enough to stock a stash of films, go check them out. If they do carry some, I'd say start out with what they have just so you can pick some up on the spur-of-the-moment if need be. ISO 100 and 400 films are typical and a good start to have in your camera bag.
04-13-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the Pentaxian family.
Besides my K-r, I have a K1000 and a Spotmatic.

I shoot mainly digital but also enjoy film