Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
KR in hand, first DSLR. Thanks for making this site awesome

Title says it all really.

I just picked up my KR just over 2 weeks ago after just mainly using point and shoot cameras and "prosumer" cameras. I have always wanted to switch over to a DSLR eventually and was certain it was going to be a Rebel. However, I could not justify the cost of the body + the lens given that my prosumer super zoom seemed to do it all for cheap.
I have a Panasonic FZ30 which has a Leica lens with 35mm equivalent zoom of 420mm (albeit, it is actually 7.4-88.8mm which suggests a 4.6x crop!).

The little 8mp ccd struggles with noise at iso 200, so I figured I could use something with more megapixels (assuming, I'd just resize the image to compensate for noise).
So I purchased a Canon SX 30 IS which is a 14 megapixel camera that can go up to ISO 1600 and does the 35mm equiv of 24-840mm thinking it was going to be the ultimate camera. I was dead wrong. Pictures from this 14mp camera at 840mm were actually worse than my aging 8mp panasonic fz30 at 420mm. After taking a couple hundred crappy pictures with the Canon and realizing it was nothing more than a marketing prank, I ditched all illusions about the current state of the company that made it, sold the camera and started really hunting for a DSLR that was less about marketing.

I found the Pentax Kr and was immediately sold on the high ISO performance, slightly larger image sensor, built in auto focus and shake reduction (while the major players have removed those functions to dupe entry level customers into paying more for less), and support for old lenses... oh yeah... and it came in white.

In the little over 2 weeks I've had this camera, I've taken over 2,300 pictures (some of it for testing/learning, but most of it for the opportunity of a good photo) and I am impressed. The front focus in tungsten light is a little annoying, but I'm waiting for a firmware update like the one that fixed that issue on the K5.
I also picked up a 55-300mm DAL, M 50mm f1.4, A 50mm f1.7 and I'm sure there will be more.

I'm finding that even after 2,300+ pictures, I'm still improving and still learning. The more I learn, the more I realize how much of a newbie I am and what I don't know. This site has been a TREMENDOUS help.

I figured I'll throw in 2 pictures of my Pentax Kr taken by my panasonic fz30 (and a little photoshop).

Attached Images

04-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to our crowd. I own a K-r as well and use it a lot with old manual M42 lenses.

Last edited by Bramela; 04-17-2011 at 11:48 PM.
04-17-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Arn
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, and welcome, BobDoLe. I don't have the K-r, but I use a few of the old lenses, and love learning to get better with them. Enjoy the forum.